C4 windscreen washer pump failure

Please excuse my lack of technical knowledge.  I have a 12 plate Citroen C4, the wash bottles have stopped working, no whirring etc when I try to run them.  I have had it to a garage who said it wasn't the pump itself, they suspected a fuse board and referred to me an auto electrician.  Auto electrician looked and said that it was the pump and that it was drawing too much power, that the onboard computer was then stopping it from working for this reason.  The pump was replaced with a new one at the weekend - still no water on my windscreen.  

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the issue - I don't really want to spend a fortune chasing an electrical issue but equally it's due an MOT and I need it to get to work!

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

(Also I am based in Sheffield so if you know of a reliable garage in the area who might be able to sort it that would be helpful too.)

If the pump is running and there is water in the bottle then the pipes to the washer jets must be blocked. In winter this can happen if it is freezing weather but when it warms up the frozen water in the pipes would melt and I am sure this will have been checked by now. It is more likely the washer jets are blocked though so you can check this with a pin by poking it in the washer jets and then seeing if water comes out. You can also disconnect the piping to see if water will come out. I have read cases where the tank outlet has blocked with mould but since the pump has been replaced this would have been found at the time. There might also be  strainer in the pipes that has blocked or a non return valve that is stuck. 

If the pump is not running then the first check has to be its fuse. We had a C3 where the fuse would fail if the washer jets were frozen and the washers were tried. If this does not show anything then I would take it to a Citroen dealer and not bother with any other garages. A Citroen dealer will be familiar with the C4 and all its electrics, their labour charge might be higher than other places but ought to fix the problem quicker so less hours labour.

If it does not have a fuse then on this topic for a 2017 C4 the fuse is part of the ecu

https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=65353

This is for a Picasso but might help

http://c4owners.org/plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?117709.post

• Like 1
  • paul.h changed the title to C4 windscreen washer pump failure

Thank you for your suggestions, I’ll check the washer jets and see if that makes a difference and I might try a syringe on the pipe to see if I can get water to come out of them too, slowly narrowing it down!

I have a similar issue too, I changed the washer pump but stiĺl nothing. Checked the fuse box under the bonnet and noticed all the fuses were coroded with water ingress. So cleaned the terminals with contact cleaner and replaced with new fuses but still nothing. 

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

Cheers 

2 hours ago, TheproblemC4owner said:

I have a similar issue too, I changed the washer pump but stiĺl nothing. Checked the fuse box under the bonnet and noticed all the fuses were coroded with water ingress. So cleaned the terminals with contact cleaner and replaced with new fuses but still nothing. 

Any advice would be gratefully received. 

Cheers 

If your fuse box is that bad it might need replacing. You could also try a wire direct to the pump to see if it runs, it is possible the wire has corroded internally and needs replacing. It might have been on a C3 but I think I read water can run inside the pump wire back to the fuse box.