What age is the car and mileage ? I assume it is a 1.0 petrol. Is the servicing up to date such as spark plugs, air filter, cleaning of the throttle plate to remove any carbon build up ? Are the engine mountings in good condition - look at them for any perishing of the rubber and also see if the engine can be easily rocked by hand without it running. You could check the engine inlet for any air leaks between the air flow meter (MAF) and the cylinder head. If there were then there might be a fault code and the engine management light would come on. A diagnostic at a Citroen dealer might help find any faults such as if there is wear in the accelerator pedal electrics, the engine is running lean or rich, a sensor fault.

Sucking in air at the exhaust seems an odd one since if the engine is running exhaust gases would be coming out - try holding a tissue over the end of the exhaust and see if it is blown away or sucked in.

Hi, it’s a 2013, full service history. 54k, and the standard 3 pot petrol engine. Yes I’ve held paper on the exhaust and it’s definitely sucking in on tic over. just been serviced last week. I had it on the computer, unfortunately no codes present. I was hoping someone had the same issue. In terms of engine shaking after a gentle rev and exhaust sucking in. I’m a bit stuck at the min 

If sucking air in through the exhaust that might suggest an exhaust valve is not fully closed when a piston is going down. You could do a compression test to check. The timing might also be out so the cam shaft is not in the right position. If it has a timing belt and not a chain, it ought to be due for renewal soon based on 10 years and if you are planning on keeping the car there is no need to wait until 10 years to replace it. Timing chains do wear and on our 2010 C3 1.4 vti it was worn out at 50k miles so if you have a chain it does not mean it lasts the life of the engine - that started giving fault codes about the timing.

First though, if you can, I would give the throttle plate a clean, something I used to do at each service on our cars. Carbon builds up and blocks the air gap making tick over a bit rough. A carb cleaner or turps/white spirit on a rag can be wiped inside the throttle body to remove the carbon. To access it usually means removing the air ducting.