1987 Bx19

chris

Hello my name is chris i live in New Zealand. Not many Citroen's here and even less people who know anythging about them. I recently snapped the clutch cable. Between myself and a friend we managed to put a new one in but it is slipping really badly. When it snapped a bolt on the arm fell out. Now we dont know the proper size to put back in. It may need a new clutch plate but it does run well sometimes and then it'll slip. I'm sure we dont have the right size bolt and have not locked it properly. My questions: Can anyone please help? Are there supposed to be two bolts on the adjustment arm? How long are thes bolts? I love my little Citroen but living in a remote part of New Zealand it's not the best car to get help with. Any help would be hugely appreciated. THanks Chris Blyth

Hi Chris

I have had 5 BX's, it would appear that you have lost the 'transfer bolt' which is pressure held between the operating arm - at the clutch end of the cable- and the clutch release fork.

This takes the view of a 'headless' bolt which is rounded at both ends and is about an 8M approximately three to three and a half inches long.

Unusually, most Citroen clutches have positive pressure on the thrust bearing which is determined by a fairly light spring at the top of the clutch pedal.

The correct method of adjusting the cluth is to measure the distance between the clutch pedal and the steering wheel (with the cluth at rest) then check the distance between the clutch pedal and the steering wheel (with the clutch pedal fully depressed. the difference btetween these measurements should be between 130mm and 160mm.

If all else fails, log on to www.haynesmanuals.co.uk they have a technical department who will 'e' mail remedies directly to you for free.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Tom