Overheating Light Comming On Ax

pe+e

Citroen ax 1996 1.0 dimention. 75K miles.

When I start the car I can hear a gurgling sound and the sound of running water...it sounds like its comming from under the pedels. I'm sure its done this for quite sometime- at least 6months.

Recently the overheating light has been comming on- strangely it goes off if you drive the car fast/hard! The fan is on a lot too (pretty much everytime I stop the car, the cooling fan is on).

Someone has suggested that it may need bleeding. does this sound like the case? if so, how exactly would I go about doing this?

If not, what else may it be?

Coolant level seems constant so don't think its loosing coolant. heating still works.

many thanks in anticipation

There are some thinner rubber pipes at the top of the engine (to the left of the carb injection system. on one of them you will see what looks like a tyre dust cap (thats the bleed valve).

remove the bleed cap and the filler cap and start the engine then slowly fill the header tank with coolant mixture (50% antifreeze coolant and 50% water) and keep checking and top it up it until the engine is properly warmed up... Then you will notice that the water dribbles out from the bleed valve... close it carefully without scalding yourself (rubber glove and a cloth helps). refit the filler cap and check the warning light and stop the engine...Your done and have a cup of tea and marvel at your excellent work :P

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for that ronin.

i took it to the garage in the end (before i got your post as i didn't realise it was so simple)

i told the mechanic that i had heard that citroen engines are known for problems with getting air in the coolant system and could he just bleed it and see what effect it had. He said he wasn't aware of such a problem but would do it anyway. he charged me £20 and the the overheating light hasn't come back on since and the fan is no longer on at the end of every journey so it must have worked! :)

thanks for your coments