Xm Suspension Spares

scotty33

Hi All,

I hope you could give some advice on spares for the front suspension on a 1991 XM. It needs the top section of the front struts/suspension cylinder mounting. This is my in law's car, they have been told that the mk 1 parts are no longer available, the mk 2 item does not screw onto the mk1 strut/cylinder, so it needs 2 new mk2 cylinders as well! They were quoted over £1000 for parts which sadly writes the car off.

Can anyone help with a cheaper solution to this problem, it is too good a car to scrap. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All,

I hope you could give some advice on spares for the front suspension on a 1991 XM. It needs the top section of the front struts/suspension cylinder mounting. This is my in law's car, they have been told that the mk 1 parts are no longer available, the mk 2 item does not screw onto the mk1 strut/cylinder, so it needs 2 new mk2 cylinders as well! They were quoted over £1000 for parts which sadly writes the car off.

Can anyone help with a cheaper solution to this problem, it is too good a car to scrap. :lol:

If you can locate a Mk2 model at your local breakers, the complete strut and support can be replaced. The bolt holes are exactly the same.

You will need to replace both sides complete.

The difference in design is that the Mk2 struts are much thicker and shorter (and stronger) than the Mk1.

If you are able to obtain the struts from a breakers, be careful to look at the replacement struts for the size of the feed pipe ports.

There are two sizes. If your originals are the small bore pipe and you can only get large bore replacements, a very cheap converter plug is availlable from Citroen. There is no way of fitting large bore pipes to small bore ports.

Tom