Ax Rear Axle

Guest rach34

Guest rach34

hi there

i have a citroen ax p reg and i have had it mot dec of which i spent 200 pound getting the brakes done on it, i also have a knocking on it when i turn left but only when i carry passengers, i took it to a garage and told me my axle has gone and said i should scrap the car, dont know if this is a wise decision to make or would it be worth getting it repaired

Guest Colin Hunter

Hiya Rach! Don't take my word for this as I have never had an AX. I would have thought the mounting bushes would wear and rattle before any other problems. Do a search on Ebay for AX rear axle bushes and you'll find some nice aftermarket ones. If your axle IS shot you'll priobablly be able to get a decent replacement from a breaker if you're determined to keep your wee "roller skate" in this world!

Cheers Hope this helps. :D

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Most likely the rear radius arm bearing(s) have gone.

On the AX the innner race of the bearing that supports the radius arm is actual stub shaft section on each end of the axle and this is likely to have been damaged if the roller bearing has failed.

Even if not damaged Stripping/rebuilding the axle is not an easy job.

Can get refurbished axles (coventry transmissions do them exchange and advertise on ebay) cost about £300.

They machine down the damaged axle stub shaft and fit a sleeve over it to replace the damaged surface and then refit the radius arm with new bearings etc.

Takes about 1/2 a day to a day to strip the axle off the car (depends what sticks.)

And about the same to refit the new one and re-instate the brakes etc.

Regards

John