Anybody Found A Diagnostic Scanner That Works On Citroen C8 2.2 Hdi

stevestoys

I've been looking for a cheap diagnostic scanner and data hand held tool for my 2003 citroen c8 2.2 hdi exclusive diesel. One that does abs air bags etc as well as engine. I've been told mine is a funny year to get one that works. Best I've seen is about 100 quid. I'm only getting one just in case pm don't need one but it would be nice to have one ready. Anybody know of one they have used on this year and model that works with all functions

Cheers

I also have a 2003 Citroen C8 2.0 HDi. I bought a full chip Lexia interface from Aliexpress.com last year for about 56 Euro and it is working fine... It is not the car that is suspect, it is the tool, some of them do not work on "Citroen C5 and Peugeot 308".

The newer model of Lexia "A.1281 Z" is now available, the older model "9780.Z5", they look identical except the logo on the newer ones is grey and the new OBDII cable is one piece and does not have the bulky connector in the middle.

Ensure you get the Full Chip one and that it works with Citroen C5....

@stevestoys, Yes, they would work on all 32 bit Windows (including Windows 10, which officially it should not be installed on). please review this link:
http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=9779

@skycamvideo, You need to confirm both facts (Full Chip & C5) and being "A.1281 Z" not "9780.Z5".

PSA has released DiagBox v8.xx (the software that uses the Lexia hardware) and it is a different design, releasing the new hardware may be more than a co-incidence. Please review:
http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=9983

Few years back, PSA released an automatic firmware upgrade causing clones to be blocked. Hence the need for Full Chip with 921815/C firmware.

I have the "9780.Z5" and it was working fine on my 2003 C8. Yesterday, reviewing the circuit board, I discovered that it was missing a 10K resistance that may prevent it from working properly on some systems. I fixed it buy soldering the 10K resistance, and in my case, it is still working and I don't notice a difference. If you have no interest in upgrading; any working version should be fine.

The link below claims it is the new "A.1281 Z" and if you scroll down it claims "3. Supported C-ziro / Ion / all hybrid \ 's support Peugeot 307 and Citroen C5!". Now if you look at the PCB (printed circuit board), you will find it was made in January 2015 (mine was late 2014). The surprising part is that, except for the sticker showing three brands and the "A.1281 Z" model #, it is identical to mine with all the chips names and numbers including the chip oscillator, it is even missing the same 10k resistance mine was missing!!!

I am glad I tried to help you, I now know that mine is quite a decent one, but it seems to have gone a lot more expensive because of the rebranding?? I don't know hoe genuine this "A.1281 Z", but I am sure you will find it a lot cheaper with older sticker..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lexia-3-PP2000-Full-Chip-921815C-Lexia3-V48-V25-For-Citroen-Peugeot-Diagnostic-Tool-Auto-Code/32358638102.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.1.JSmQ2C&ws_ab_test=201526_1,201527_1_3_2_1_5_4,201409_1

I am not sure what do you mean by "B" I hope you don't mean the 921815/C. Being 2015, it very unlikely.

However, Except for the different oscillator (not relevant) it is identical to mine (see attached).. If such, then it should work with the Citroen C8 HDi 2003+..

You will notice that I have pointed a missing resistor which was not included in some production, this is a pull-up resistor which affected cars with CAN-BUS.

All in all, if it is not DOA (dead on arrival or faulty) it should work....

post-91625-0-09432400-1442669665_thumb.jpg

post-91625-0-84114400-1442669676_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

Sorry to jump in here, but this thread seems to be active and most relevent to my situation.

I've got a 2005 C8 (2.0 petrol) and also have the Lexia tool. I bought mine about 15 months ago or so and has "9780.Z5" printed on it (looks like this).

I assume this means it will NOT work on the C8? All my attempts have been fruitless, using various versions of Diagbox, as well as using the flash tool to change the firmware, but nothing works. The same cable I have used on a 2006 307 and C4, as well as a 2009 C4 Grand Picasso, without any problems.

Is there any way to make this cable work with the C8, or will I need to get a 'Full chip' A.1281 Z?

Thanks!

@grantg,

They all look like what you have posted, open it and compare against the pictures above, you will know then if you have a full chip or not... Some C8 are CAN-BUS (you will notice that in the DiagBox software when you click on C8). So, you could try soldering a 10K resistor where I pointed if yours is missing and see the result.. Please feed back having tried.

@stevestoys,

I think you need to take a chance, because the pictures they display do not sometimes match the description. If it is a full chip it is likely to work.

p.s. Every device has two boards (sandwiched), the 4 pictures above show the front and back sides of the two boards.

This looks very similar to mine and it states (in the description) it works with Citroen C5:

Lexia 3 Diagnostic Tool Description:

1.It is compatible with Citroen cars including: C1,C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C8,CCROSSER,NEMO,BERLINGO,JUMPY,JUMPER,AX,SAXO,BX and so on.

2.It is compatible with most Peugeot cars from 1995.

3.Diagnostics is performed via OBD-II connector (which is located near steering wheel) or via manufacturer-specific connector (only older cars, pre-2001).

4.lexia 3 Full Chip Firmware Serial Reference Number: 921815/C

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-Direct-Price-Lexia3-Citroen-Peugeot-Code-Reader-Lexia-3-V48-PP2000-V25-Diagbox-V7-61/32320331216.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.10.2ImzMR&ws_ab_test=201526_2,201527_1_71_72_73_74_75,201409_1

However, I can see in the pictures that:

Firmware is 4.2.0, which is very unlikely since they are providing DiagBox v7.61 (which flashes v4.3.2), so they must be old pictures.

The 10K resistor is also missing on this one; exactly like mine. The newer versions (possibly this one) may have the 10K installed. In any case, mine works with and without 10K (on the C8 HDi).

This is why you can only be sure when you receive it and try it...

Depending on the software version you will get, according to the site, you will get 7.61.

The procedure goes like this:

1- Install DiagBox 7.01, it will start in 7.01, when you reboot and restart it, it will update itself to 7.02.

2- Install the updates (each may include one or more version jumps), first 7.xx to 7.57, then 7.57 to 7.58, then 7.58 to 7.62 and so on..

Please notice that after applying the updates and when you start DiagBox, it will say after "installing internet updates" even though you are not connected.

If you want 7.62 or above, you need to download the first package and if you want 7.77, you need to download the second package.

7.62 is rumored to be the one that works with everything. 7.63, 7.64 and 7.65 have problems with Telecoding. 7.66 is ok but seems to have minor issues. 7.74, 7.76 and 7.77 are very new.

For you and I, 5.xx, 6.xx and 7.xx will be fine, but stick with 7.62 initially. Below is some information about various versions:

DiagBox v7.02 => Lexia Softwae Version= 500.46 & Lexia Interface Firmware = 4.3.0

DiagBox v7.57 => Lexia Softwae Version= 500.66 & Lexia Interface Firmware = 4.3.2

DiagBox v7.58 => Lexia Softwae Version= 500.66 & Lexia Interface Firmware = 4.3.2

DiagBox v7.62 => Lexia Softwae Version= 500.68 & Lexia Interface Firmware = 4.3.3

DiagBox v7.66 => Lexia Softwae Version= 500.68 & Lexia Interface Firmware = 4.3.3 (.NET 3.5 is needed)

DiagBox v7.74 => Lexia Softwae Version= 500.70 & Lexia Interface Firmware = 4.3.3 (.NET 3.5 is needed, if using Windows 10, run as Administrator or XP compatibility)

DiagBox v7.76 => Lexia Softwae Version= 500.71 & Lexia Interface Firmware = 4.3.3 (.NET 3.5 is needed, if using Windows 10, run as Administrator or XP compatibility)

DiagBox v7.77 => Lexia Softwae Version= 500.71 & Lexia Interface Firmware = 4.3.3 (.NET 3.5 is needed, if using Windows 10, run as Administrator or XP compatibility)

p.s. The Lexia Software is included within the DiagBox package, it is used for Diagnosis. The Lexia Interface Firmware is checked and update as necessary by DiagBox each time it is started (USB needs to be connected before stating DiagBox).

Edited by Simple

It is recommended not to install DiagBox on Windows 10, but part of the following may be applicable to other Windows as well.

4 points you need to consider for a successful DiagBox v7.xx on Windows 10 installation are:
1- Windows 10 automatically tries to use GPT, you may need to change to MBR, so that you can use IDE (Legacy) hard disk controller, else you will get the dreaded error 0.. Changing from (AHCI) to IDE may impose speed penalty; depending on your hardware. This is why I prefer using VirtualBox or VMware Player/Workstaion.
2- You need to install .NET 3.5 if you want to install DiagBox v7.66 or above. Consider installing Java (6, 7 or 8), Firefox and 7zip.
3- You (may) wish to plug-in the Lexia interface and install the drivers "ACTIAPnPInstaller.exe" before installing DiagBox v7.01 to ensure the multi-instance driver is installed.
4- You need to run DiagBox either as administrator or in XP compatibility mode for v7.74 and above. Otherwise you will get a message to reactivate

If you have a newish notebook that has Windows 7, 8 or 10 (64bit) and you don't wish to downgrade, it better to install VirtualBox or VMware Player then install windows XP or 7 (32bit) as a virtual machine.

Edited by Simple

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again HELP

Now got the new lexia 3.... installed lexia program and then installed diagbox 7.01.

after instal it seemed to remove lexia... then when i open it it updated to 7.02.

All seems ok appart from some error message about dos (in french).

I then tried to update to 7.02 to 7.06...half installs then goes off...then wouidnt run at all....after loads of messing i uninstalled it and just put 7.02 on

ive not tried it on the car yet but will this work on my 2003 C8 ??? and if so do i need to enter the chassis number and the other number it asks for ???

This is soooooo confusing...

HELP

whats theother number it needs ???? I just did like the video to test it and put 11111111111111 and 11111

I first installed it on a windows 7 but didnt even load so have now formatted a laptop to xp JUST to run this software

ITS DOING MY HEAD IN  :(

ITS D

Don't Worry, You will be fine, Please read the below:

The below is a write up I published sometime back on a forum in October 2014.

For DiagBox 7.xx, you can use your name or any other name, but if you have had the previous failures on the same Windows XP installation, I would strongly advise you to use "DBCleaner v101a" making sure you run it as Administrator.

If your notebook currently runs Windows XP 32 bit, you can install Lexia applications directly on it. However, many of the currently available notebooks are unlikely to come with Windows XP; in which case the best way would be to shrink your last partition by about 40 GB and create a new partition to install windows XP 32 bit on it, then the Lexia application. Nevertheless, you can run Windows XP (and many other operating systems) within a Virtual Machine installed on your current notebook’s OS; luckily, they are mostly free and readily available. I have tried both methodologies and both work well, I have preference to the Virtual Machine because I still have access to my other operating system (in fact I am writing this whilst performing another test). One can also change the amount of memory (RAM) or computation power (CPU) as need be, you can clone it, and if you do not like it, you can delete it.

Let’s Start:

Ensure that all files and folders names do NOT include spaces or funny characters, example: “Folder_1or_file_5†and not “Folder 1 or file 5â€. If possible, convert all your media to ISO format ensuring the media is laid at the root directory and NOT inside another folder, Example: if you mount the DVD ISO it should be “G:\installation_material†and NOT “G:\Lexia 3\Diagbox\installation material†(where G is the arbitrary DVD drive letter).
1- Install VirtualBox, the Extensions and Guest Additions, ensuring the following:
a) The Hard Drive controller must be IDE.
B) Create a preferably fixed hard drive more than 24GB. Dynamic also works.
c) Connect the Windows ISO through the Settings -> Storage -> Optical Drive.

2- Install a clean Windows XP Pro SP3 and activate it and install the following tools:
a) All necessary drivers.
B) Setup a network adaptor
c) Install Mozilla Firefox
d) Java 7
e) Winrar or 7zip
f) Virtual Clonedrive (not needed for VirtualBox)

3- Connect the Lexia USB interface to the computer so that VirtualBox identifies it:
1. Click on VirtualBox Settings, USB, Add a new USB filter and choose the code representing Lexia interface.
2. Leave the Lexia interface connected throughout the whole installation process, if Windows asks to look for drivers then just cancel for now.
4. Disconnect the network cable.
5. Create a blank file named version.txt in C:\ i.e “C:\version.txt†(This step may not be necessary with newer DiagBox versions).
6. Mount the DiagBox 7.02 ISO and run the setup, go through the process. At some stage, "new hardware found" window will appear, do not choose to search automatically for drivers, you may cancel it or just manually select the driver that should now be available.
7. Once done, start DiagBox and when prompted for activation, choose the "manual activation" option, fill-in information as per the provided instructions, usually (Customer Code, Address, Post Code and Car Phone) you can enter any characters or numbers.
8. Start DiagBox again it will run the update for 7.02.
9. Install the update package/s – I prefer the 7.xx to 7.57. Please note after installing the update you will need to reboot then run DiagBox for the update to be fully installed. At some stage, the drivers may install (if not already installed) where you will get "New hardware found" wizard again.
10. DiagBox (the latest version installed) is now operational.
Connect the USB interface to the OBD-II port on your car, turn on the ignition, and in DiagBox choose your car, insert your RPO and work away.

Edited by Simple

Please find attached the cleaner, Rename the PDF file to RAR and expand it.. Run it as administrator.

You can download the files from here:

https://mega.nz/#F!PA9DiCqY!iHwCKwBv5kIzcshgYc6PeA

You will install 7.01 first. Upon reboot and starting Diagbox, it will update to 7.02.

Reboot again and run: DiagBox 7.xx - 7.57 then start DiagBox

Reboot again and run: DiagBox 7.57 - 7.58 then start DiagBox

Reboot again and run: DiagBox 7.58 - 7.62 then start DiagBox

Reboot again and run: DiagBox 7.62 - 7.66 then start DiagBox

Reboot again and run: DiagBox 7.66 - 7.74 then start DiagBox

Reboot again and run: DiagBox 7.74 - 7.76 then start DiagBox

Proceure for DiagBox 7.76 - 7.77

http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=10120

I advise that you stop at 7.62 it is a good and stable release.

DBCleaner v101a.pdf

Well that worked....got the files as you said...and installed them in order to 7.62 and all seems good.

the ones that came with the lexia must be corrupt....cheers buddy.

Ill check out what it can do as soon as i get time....

Oh forgot to ask....will it find my vehicle or do i have to enter vin number ever time...???? it looks like it will search for it when i connect it

cheers again mate... :D

Start Notebook,

Connect Evolution xs (Lexia) to notebook USB (you should hear a bong and the device driver should appear in the device manager) and CAR OBDII.

Start DiagBox,

Click brand (Citroen or Peugeot),

Ignition ON

Choose car and click model, (You will hear a click from the dashboard and the VIN will appear, just confirm).

Now, when you choose Diagnosis, it will ask you for the RPO, it is 4 number digits within a code on the drivers door. below the tyre pressure, the second from the buttom, and for the year 2003 it should be between 9550 and 9914.

HELP

Well still no joy...seemed ok so tested on my c8
all booted up and found vin number ok....added code (which would only take a few numbers and no letters)
then i got this message

[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:134]

this is driving me CRAZY.

Ps i cant seem to add photos to this forum unless i add another vehicle...