Head Change Due To Overboost

zx1.9td

i recently raised the boost to 17psi then on the m/way deceided to so if she pulls any better top end when i looked at the boost gauge @ 4000rpm noticed to my shock it was way off the gauge (gauge shows 20psi) so i backed off

needless to say a few miles later loads of black smoke and no power blown head gasket

on stripping i found the head was knackered beyond repair so i got a secondhand head from breakers & fitted it while i was doing that i set the actuator back to where i adjusted it from now i have still got boost problems

in 1st 2nd i get 15 psi 3rd 16ish 4th 17-18 5th 20+ psi but ive put it all back to where it started off at im worried i might wreck another head/gasket

is it possible that the acuator is stuffed ?

it's a kkk type turbo

• 7 months later...
i recently raised the boost to 17psi then on the m/way deceided to so if she pulls any better top end when i looked at the boost gauge @ 4000rpm noticed to my shock it was way off the gauge (gauge shows 20psi) so i backed off

needless to say a few miles later loads of black smoke and no power blown head gasket

on stripping i found the head was knackered beyond repair so i got a secondhand head from breakers & fitted it while i was doing that i set the actuator back to where i adjusted it from now i have still got boost problems

in 1st 2nd i get 15 psi 3rd 16ish 4th 17-18 5th 20+ psi but ive put it all back to where it started off at im worried i might wreck another head/gasket

is it possible that the acuator is stuffed ?

it's a kkk type turbo

in my experience your presure release valve on the turbo needs looking at.... and if your milage was anywhere near 140k the head gasket was due to go anyway