Smoke From Front Passenger Wheel Arch

Guest ajw

Hi All

A bit cheeky bit I have a Fiat Ulysses (Feb 04), which today (and once previously) decided to pour out smoke from under the front passenger wheel arch. Our dealer says it is due to the cold weather and some kind of heat converter which then generates diesel smoke from under the engine area ??

I dont know much about cars but can this be true - sorry if I have not described everything accurately.

Thanks

We all run our cars in cold weather without getting smoke from under the wheel arch - so I would forget that theory. What is the clutch like? Is it slipping at all? Put the front wheels up against a curb and with fairly low revs, slowly let out the clutch in first gear. If the engine stalls, the clutch is probably OK. If it doesn't, the clutch could be slipping.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All

A bit cheeky bit I have a Fiat Ulysses (Feb 04), which today (and once previously) decided to pour out smoke from under the front passenger wheel arch. Our dealer says it is due to the cold weather and some kind of heat converter which then generates diesel smoke from under the engine area ??

I dont know much about cars but can this be true - sorry if I have not described everything accurately.

Thanks

Did you figure this out at all? - Probably unrelated, but that is basically how the fire in my new C8 started - white smoke from the passenger front wheel arch.

they do have a heater behind the front wheel with a small exhaust so if they cant find anything else wrong with it it sounds to me like thats what it will be. look straight under the passanger side door between the exhaust and the sill next time it does it and you will be able to see. it looks like a scooter exhaust.

Hi All

Thanks

I have had the same thing on my 2003 C8 2.2 Hdi, the garage reckoned it was the heater-plug control box burning out - when (if) I get it back, I'll see if it's cured.

:-)