Xm Electrics

Gordon McKay

I have a Citroen XM which I have had for 18 months. A couple of weeks ago I went to start the car but the battery was flat. I put it on charge overnight and the next day I went to the local car accessories and they tested the battery and found it to be on the way out. I duly had a new one fitted and everything was fine until yesterday morning when I tried to start the car and the battery was flat.

I charged it up again overnight and this morning it is fine. The alternator is OK so the only conclusion I can come to is that something is still "on" all the time and hence draining the battery. I have checked the boot and all the interior lights and they are all off. Has anyone come across this before?

Regards

Gordon McKay

I charged it up again overnight and this morning it is fine. The alternator is OK so the only conclusion I can come to is that something is still "on" all the time and hence draining the battery. I have checked the boot and all the interior lights and they are all off. Has anyone come across this before?

Is there an alarm back up battery anywhere? When these get old they fail and start to flatten the battery. The ones I've found the problem with are aftermarket alarms, especially if they interface with central locking for a remote lock or plip type function on the car. If this is the case a new Ni-Cad will have to be soldered into the alarm unit.

Get a meter and set it to measure current, connect the battery to the car via this then watch it whilst pulling the fuses on by one with the key NOT in the ignition lock. When the current drops to zero you've found the offending circuit.