Radio For A 2cv

Guest Nico

Hi there, don't know if anyone can help me, but I am looking to buy a classic car radio for my Chaleston which I have recently purchased.

I've seen a few on Ebay, but don't know what sort I would need etc, and what would I need to be aware of before buying one? I think a classsic one may look better than a 'new' one.

Could anyone recommend a radio that would work without a hitch, or if you had any info on this, to put me straight?!

Thank you, Jon.

• 1 month later...
Guest Colin Hunter

Hi Jon.

First of all you need to know if your car is positive or negative earth. Older cars tend to be positive, but the more modern ones (from about mid sixties) were negative earth. I would think a Charleston is new enough to be negative. Check which battery terminal is connected to the bodywork + for positive and - for negative. The reason I'm asking is that if you get an older radio then it may be for positive, and if you connect it straight in to a neg earth car you will wreck it. (And vice-versa)

Another problem with older radios is that they tend only to be long and medium wave, No FM wave bands so you'll be severely restricted as to what you can pick up. There are places which will convert older radios to be able to pick up FM if that's what you want. The best place to look would be in the classified ads of "Classics Monthly" or "Practical Classics", both mags have featured re-builds of 2CVs.

Any radio of the correct polarity will work "out of the box" so, as long as you have it connected to speakers and an ariel, you're off and running. The only other possible hitch is the method of mounting the set in the dash. Modern cars use bespoke radios as you know, but the aftermarket ones use a standard size slot and need adapters to fit the dashes of modern cars properly. The 2CV will probably accept a standard set without any mods required if it has the "ISO" radio slot. These radios simply slide in and will come with their own mounting cage to which they fit.

Older radios of the type you want, generally were mounted from behind the dash and secured by nuts screwed onto the volume and tuning control spindles. A trim plate and another couple of nuts finished it all off before the knobs went on. If the car has an "ISO" slot then you'll need an adapter kit to mount the older radio.

Some people put their modern sets in a hidden location so that they can have decent sounds and have an old radio in the dash for the "Classic look". Your choice!

Cheers. Hope this helps :angry: