Engine Coolant

aaronpgreen

I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice.

My car has been stood for a couple of weeks as Ive been away. I've just checked oil etc and the engine coolant was very nearly empty - is it normal to have to top it up when it's been stood for a while? There was a leak in the radiator but that was fixed on its 10k service. I have an 06 reg rhythm 5door 25k miles.

Yes that's right, the cooling system should be watertight when hot and pressurized, so you definitely shouldn't lose any while it is stationary.

I did see a post on another forum from someone who had a radiator fix and subsequently the level dropped. It turned out that the system hadn't been bled properly, so the level drop was just the air in the system moving to the reservoir from other parts of the system. I hope this is true in your case, but you should definitely get it seen by the dealer.

Yes that's right, the cooling system should be watertight when hot and pressurized, so you definitely shouldn't lose any while it is stationary.

I did see a post on another forum from someone who had a radiator fix and subsequently the level dropped. It turned out that the system hadn't been bled properly, so the level drop was just the air in the system moving to the reservoir from other parts of the system. I hope this is true in your case, but you should definitely get it seen by the dealer.

Is this the sort of thing that would be covered by the warranty? It just seems to have taken a long time - radiator was fixed nearly 6 months ago and has now just lost its levels (??)

I would give it another chance, and top up the expansion bottle to the line on the bottles side, its about halfway up the bottle., then keep an eye on it, to see if it drops down.

If it does drop down again, then your leaks back. These cars do not loose much coolant at all, under normal running conditions.

Remember to put both water and anti-freeze mix in when topping up.

• 4 weeks later...