New Multispace 2

tronboy

Just been to see one of the new Multispaces, and decided that I shan't be buying one.

Firstly it is too big. The width especially is excessive; the commercial version seats three abreast, so you can imagine just how wide it is.

Much standard equipment on current M'spaces is optional on the new one except in faux-off-roader XTR trim, that includes side airbags, Modutop, remote locking. Add in the cost of these extras and combined with the already higher list price and add in the poorer p/x you'll get for your old model.....

And no fabric roof option....

It's a million miles from the Berlingo concept of cheap people/ cargo moving.

Just been to see one of the new Multispaces,

Where did you see it? Are they in the dealers now?

and decided that I shan't be buying one. ... too big. ... width... is excessive; It's a million miles from the Berlingo concept of cheap people/ cargo moving.

Well - I guess that's why Citroen are keeping the old one on the market. It will be interesting to see how sales of the old and the new compare - especially in France.

Who knows - perhaps the old one will outsell the new?

Well - I guess that's why Citroen are keeping the old one on the market. It will be interesting to see how sales of the old and the new compare - especially in France.

Checked the Citroen website today and the "old" Berlingo isn't there. Just checked Peugeot website and the Peugeot Partner is gone too.

Maybe it's just across the Channel that they're keeping the old model.

Where did you see it? Are they in the dealers now?

Who knows - perhaps the old one will outsell the new?

Yeah, they're in the dealers now.

The old one in van and MPV version is to be marketed as the "Berlingo First" and will only be available in 1.6 petrol and 75bhp 1.6 HDi. Equipment is slashed and remote locking and side airbags are once again options rather than standard. Sunroof option no longer available, so I won't be buying one of those either.

Well, I'm glad to see the Berlingo First is still there on the Citroen UK website.

But I'll also be excited to see the new vehicle. Must keep my eyes open for one.

The price a little steep. I see the 110 bhp Hdi is listed at £14,499 - though I see it is discounted on the web to £12,205, whereas the cheapest 90 bhp Hdi is discounted to £9676.

£2,500 is a lot for 20 bhp. And seeing as we Berlingo owners don't like to throw our money around, it will be interesting to see how many of the 110's they sell.

I think I'll be hanging on to my 1.6 petrol for a few years yet.

And another

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/ind...ion=performance

summary ". . . an altogether more sophisticated car than its revered ancestor. . . . don’t think of it like the old Berlingo. Regard it as an alternative to an MPV or even to an SUV. "

A bit disappointing that the NCAP is only 4* too. Not much improvement over the current model.

A bit disappointing that the NCAP is only 4* too. Not much improvement over the current model.

And the vital statistics don't make good reading either.

Old 1.6 110 petrol - 37.7 mpg ...... CO2 - 175 g/km ..... 0-60 - 11.0 secs

New 1.6 110 petrol - 34.5 mpg ...... CO2 - 195 g/km .....0-60 - 13.2 secs

Old 1.6 92 HDi - 53.3 mpg .... CO2 - 140 g/km .... 0-60 - 12.9 secs

New 1.6 92 HDi - 49.6 mpg ... CO2 -150 g/km .... 0-60 - 14.0 secs

Front end ugly, wings like a Kangoo. Not for me.

I quite like the appearance of the new one. My Berlingo is 2002, before the facelift. I didn't like the facelift at all, and think the new one is a definite improvement. However, it is bigger, fatter, heavier, thirstier, slower, more expensive . . . so my choice would still be for the Berlingo First.

By the way, here's another review: http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstD...6-90-VT/232624/

Summary: "the van-like dimensions remain . . . but the smooth and willing 108bhp 1.6 HDi motor, and general air of refinement and dynamic sophistication make the Berlingo feel more like a family hatch."

The Berlingo First would be a choice if they'd not discontinued the 92bhp Hdi and de-specced the standard equipment tally and options list..

Depressing. I hadn't realised it was that bad. So the choice is to hold on to what you've got or buy second hand.

Basically they have deleted everything decent.

It seems like strange marketing. A range of good cars at reasonable prices disappears, to be replaced by slow cars at reasonable prices, or good cars at unreasonable prices. This is the sort of marketing one would have expected in East Germany 30 years ago. Don't give the customer what they want. Give them what you think they should want.

• 1 year later...
The new M'space is too upmarket, the First is too downmarket.

Rubbish marketing.

I've had my 1.6i VT90 for a week now and love it 99.9% the shortfall only being the battery economy mode that EVERYONE hates.

I always owned old bangers but was tempted by the adds for the new Nemo at 7995 with scrappage. I found that the Nemo was TOO small for cycling requirements but was over the moon to discover the MUCH bigger Berlingo was the same price. With citroen's June discount and scrappage I ended up only paying 8350 with metallic paint :blink:

The new motor is of course built on the C4 chassis which makes the handling fantastic and also why it's big :lol:

http://techno.smugmug.com/photos/601430992_sAQnW-O.jpg

Just had a quote from our local dealer for a good spec 92bhp new 'lingo and, even with a healthy discount, they want (with a tow-bar) just shy of 19000 euros. Yet I can get a 110 XTR (to French spec) from a UK dealer for the equivalent of 15500 Euros. Quite why all the French don't buy their Berlingos in GB beats me! And they gave a rubbish trade in price for the current one.

• 1 year later...

Well I`ve had mine for 6 months now, got a good deal 3 days before end of March and companies financial year. So I am well chuffed, bigger than old one, more room, can sleep in back [ 2 of us,] milage not quite as ood as old one but IT is bigger, totally differant vehical of course.

I would recommend 100%