Gerabox Oil

Guest emy12

Hi, has anybody any ideea how can i check the level of the gearbox?I might overfilled the gear box.I lost about 3-400 grams of oil and i bought Total Manual Transmission and i refilled (2 more liters).Citroen zx 1.4i, there is a small plastic pipe coming out on the gearbox, under the battery. Has to fill it up till you can feel the level by finger? What is the side effect of overfilling?

Thanks

The gearbox oil is checked by undoing the 17mm (i think) level screw in the gearbox end cover. This is viewed by getting your head under the near side front wing.

The oil to be used is Total Transmission BV 75w - 80w

Capacity from empty 2.0 litres.

Do not use the method you have described to check the level.......it sounds as if it is over full.

The risks from overfilling can vary, but in the first instance it's likely you will force oil out of the plastic breather pipe you are sticking your finger in. Also it could lead to difficult gear selection, contamination of the clutch, or in extreme circumstances cause oil seals to be forced out of the gearbox, causing total failure of the gearbox.

Guest Colin Hunter

Hi Again

The gearbox oil level can be checked by removing the level/filling plug and either adding oil (75W/80 - EP) or allowing the excess oil to flow out. There are two plugs on the gear case. One, the drain plug, is in the side of the Differential casing. The other, (identical) the level plug, can be found to the forward side of the steel pressing on the end of the gearbox. The level plug should be visible through an aperture in the nearside (British RHD) wheel arch with the wheel removed. Overfilling the box will be detrimental in the long term and may eventually lead to failure of oil seals and contamination of the clutch etc, but shouldn't do any harm if remedied by correcting the level.

Cheers. Hope this helps. :o

Thanks both of you for help.I ll check it today . When removed the wheel i saw the drain plug, is not a spanner, is just a square metal.., i do not know the name of it, i havent one. The filling plug could be the same.Anyway i ll see today.Thanks again

Guest Colin Hunter

Yes. Looks like it.

What I did to make a "key" for plugs like that was took an old bolt and filed (or ground) the end square until it fitted the square hole in the plug. The plug can then be undone/tightened using your home made "key" and a socket which fits the head of the bolt you used to make it. Your "key" can then be stored with your tool kit or socket set until you need it again. Make the square with a slight taper to it so that it will grip the hole better.

Cheers. Hope this helps. :o

Good idea, i ll do it the same on monday back to the workshop if i can not find other way. I bought a sqare wrench but changed it twice and does not fit. I ll find a way to open it.

• 2 weeks later...

...Just finished the job emptying the excess of oil in the gerabox.Finally found the right sqare wrench ( the square steel from the handle door, works great). Through the filling plug came out around 1 liter and 700 grams of oil.I left it out till stopped coming out, I think is the right way and amount too.