Engine Full Of Water

ZeppelinX

Hello ! I bought my ZX a week ago (TD) all fine really pleased with it hapened to be the day all roads flooded drove through engine stopped ! air filter on the TDs are very low. All seemed doomed. But got a hot tip push car backwards in 5th geer with ignition on and all water is pushed out. It worked car started in a huge white cloud, is running as well as before but when starting in the morning a huge grey puff of smoke shoots out. After a few mins everything fine. Any advice ?

Guest Colin Hunter

If you have had water in the engine it will be a good idea to change the air filter and oil and filter as well.

Citroen reccomend a 6000 mile interval for this engine, but when I had my 1.9 TD Xantia I did the oil at 3000 and oil & Filter again at 6000.

It may be that the engine has been slightly damaged by the water ingress, but if it seems OK then you may have got away with it. Try the oil & filters first. At best it will cure it. If not it won't do any harm!

Cheers. Hope this helps. ;)

If you have had water in the engine it will be a good idea to change the air filter and oil and filter as well.

Citroen reccomend a 6000 mile interval for this engine, but when I had my 1.9 TD Xantia I did the oil at 3000 and oil & Filter again at 6000.

It may be that the engine has been slightly damaged by the water ingress, but if it seems OK then you may have got away with it. Try the oil & filters first. At best it will cure it. If not it won't do any harm!

Cheers. Hope this helps. :D

Hi thanks for that, Have put new oil and filters in but still have grey smoke when the engine is started from cold it runs rough then after a few mins it seems fine. As I ran into the water straight after buying it I don'96;t know if it was like this anyway. Think I should get some one to look at it ! Any help greatfuly received.

Guest Colin Hunter

Hi Again.

Yes. It's possible the engine was like that before the water episode. It sounds more like a cold start problem than anything that may have happened due to the water. XUD turbo engines of your era should have a cold start advance mechanism fitted to the fuel pump. This, as the name suggests, alters the fuel timing when the engine is cold, so ensuring smoother running until the engine becomes warm, when it will automatically turn off. If my memory serves me correctly there is a temperature sensing element somewhere behind the fuel filter which connects by a cable to the fuel pump. If this is faulty you will not get the cold start advance and the engine will be rough (and smokey) until it warms up. Get a garage to check it out to set your mind at rest. It's a good while (6 years or more) since I had an XUD turbo so my memory is a bit sketchy. I'm sure some one else will either refute or confirm my theory!

Cheers. Hope this helps. :D

Hi Again.

Yes. It's possible the engine was like that before the water episode. It sounds more like a cold start problem than anything that may have happened due to the water. XUD turbo engines of your era should have a cold start advance mechanism fitted to the fuel pump. This, as the name suggests, alters the fuel timing when the engine is cold, so ensuring smoother running until the engine becomes warm, when it will automatically turn off. If my memory serves me correctly there is a temperature sensing element somewhere behind the fuel filter which connects by a cable to the fuel pump. If this is faulty you will not get the cold start advance and the engine will be rough (and smokey) until it warms up. Get a garage to check it out to set your mind at rest. It's a good while (6 years or more) since I had an XUD turbo so my memory is a bit sketchy. I'm sure some one else will either refute or confirm my theory!

Cheers. Hope this helps. :unsure:

Thanks for that ! Is that in adition to the warming plugs ? I have to let lights go out before starting up the engine. Will definately get it checked out though.

Ruth :D

Guest Colin Hunter

Yes. It's in addition to the heater plugs. Regarding which, they actually stay on for some time after the light has extinguished to aid smooth running after start up. If you're having starting problems, try leaving the engine for another 10-15 seconds after the light has gone out before cranking. If the cold-start advance mechanism isn't working, that won't help either. It would be a good idea to get it checked out as it could make starting more difficult when the weather turns colder.

Cheers. :huh: