C1 Battery Warning Info I've Gleaned ...

Guest saxomike

Guest saxomike

I hope this may be of use to others ...

2 year old C1 vibe, battery warning light came on. Checked battery voltage with engine running, voltage was low and didn't rise with increased revs. Still under warranty so into the dealers. Took six weeks to get a replacement alternator so I charged the battery intermittently while waiting for replacement. Once the battery was charged the warning light went out until the battery voltage dropped again. So it seems likely that the "battery warning" is just that - a low voltage warning rather than a no charge warning. Certainly had me confused as I thought at first that the fault was solved when I charged the battery.

Until the Haynes manual comes out much of our knowledge may have to spread this way so pls keep posting tech info.

Mike

Thanks for that tip :rolleyes:

I can see why it had you scratching your head. In my past experience, in most cars the warning light would come on if the alternator wasn't charging. With our old Rover 2000, it used to come on if the idle speed was set a little too slow <_<

6 weeks for a new alternator :rolleyes: , the alternator was the problem so charging the battery would be a waste of time and would drain very quickly ( the battery is only there to start the car and keep memory to vital things like parking lights/clock/ECU ) the engine drives off the alternator

I think you'll find that the engine turns the alternator, the electricy from the alternator goes in to the battery and the engine (Spark Plugs) feeds off the battery. Put it this way, if you start the car and disconnect the battery it will stop.

Seems more problems, especially with water leaks, are starting to crop up on these cars. How much have people been paying for a major service in these credit crunch times as mine is due soon and think £220 is a bit steep.

Nice to know they are the second best car for depreciation in a recent survey. The Mini came top.

Seems more problems, especially with water leaks, are starting to crop up on these cars. How much have people been paying for a major service in these credit crunch times as mine is due soon and think £220 is a bit steep.

Nice to know they are the second best car for depreciation in a recent survey. The Mini came top.

The 30,000 mile one is due, booked in for £99 plus VAT.

Another dealer wanted £145.

Is the £220 major service something out of the ordinary to have such an incredible cost ?

well all your paying for is the dealers stamp and they give things a looking at and change the oil/filter but its really giving the car a clean bill of health and makes it easier for them to get a better price for your car when you trade it in "they get the good price not you" you just pay for it with the warranty and of course if you don't do it your warranty is worthless but in most cases its worthless anyway because you could maintain your car yourself at a lot less of the cost they charge,

that's the penalty for buying new

The major service is every second service, 20K etc. Standard one was £180 and Major was £220 but hoping the prices may have come down since last April when I went.

I want to keep the warranty updated hence going to the main dealer. I know you don't have to go to a main dealer so long you can prove your using genuine parts but I wouldn't want the hassle of trying to prove this and I'm sure they would make it difficult.

These cars have run in to a few problems.