Hi all, Me again

So anyway, I drove from London to Hastings without a problem. Stopped the car to unpack our camping gear then went out of town to pick up some shopping. Again everything was fine. Coming back from the shops along a winding country road, got lost and ended up in some vineyard going down hill. 

There was no way of me being able to turn the car round so I had to reverse back up the hill. Smoke started appearing from under the bonnet so I stopped the car and checked under it, there was a burning smell then it stopped smoking out so I continued along this bumpy country road and then when I went from 3rd into 4th gear, the clutch didn't come back up and I couldn't change the gear. 

I reversed the car back down this winding road at 11PM with just hazard lights on and called the AA the next day. They said it was definitely the clutch and the master cylinder which had gone so they got a Flatbed truck to take the car back to London to a "reputable" garage. They left it until this morning when I spoke to them and they said it is £85 p/h and will take 8 and a half hours to repair.

I was touching base with them this afternoon to see what was happening with the car and 4 HOURS into it and they still didn't manage to get to the gearbox!!!! They also said that I have a broken flywheel and all loose parts like the Starter motor, could this be related to my non-start problems? This particular garage said that if the AA don't authorise the repair (up to £475 Parts and Garage cover) then I personally only have to pay for 2 x £85 worth of Labour and get the car towed away :( If they do authorise it; then I have to pay the excess from £465 to over a grand!! Does this sound correct?

Is it worth putting all this money into an 03? 90K miles Citroen C8

Thanks

Paul

If they havnt getting  the gearbox out yet then how do they know the flywheel is gone as it impossible to see iit unless the gearbox is out. And from many years of experience when the pedal dosnt come up its normally the thrust bearing gone through the pressure plate or has collappsed

When the thrust bearing goes the fulcrum arm that works it goes past the perimiters it was designed for this then allows the slave cylinder to just pop out the end and leak fluid. In most cases we just push it back into the cylinder and its fine. A 3 in 1 clutch kit is whats needed in most cases.   The times that there quoting for doing the job is about right as it is a bit of a pig to do.

Hi 

The "reputable" garage that was suppose to be repairing the car have just told me that they tried to loosen the bolts that were rusted on the sub frame and they told me today that they cannot do it :( 

I have to get the AA to tow it from the garage to destination unknown yet. The garage said that I should take it to Citroen who would be able to remove it and sort the clutch out however they estimate over £2K+.

Is it worth it to take it to Citroen only for the AA to possibly reject the claim against a possible worn clutch? As you may tell, I am not loaded with money ;)

Or is it time that the car has met her maker and ready for the scrap yard.?

Thanks

Paul

Itl be the captive nuts just spinning inside the chassis. but that shouldnt be a problem if they know what there doing. You just cut a 3 inch section of chassis so it forms a flap heat the nut up and remove the bolt. Then when job done you just weld the flap up and underseal. it puts no more that £20 on the price of the job. Id be trying somewhere else if i was you. What area are you in

No need to remove the subframe the gearbox can be supported from the tubular wing brace on a length of rope then rotated and slid into the gap between subframe and chassis leg to allow the new clutch to be fitted. Suggest you try and locate a garage that has experience of doing the job which will make it an economic repair, best.