Roof Rubber Strips

In the near future I hope to fit roof bars to my 56 reg C8 LX. The first thing I need to know therefore is what is hidden under the rubber or plastic strips running along each edge of the roof. I've tried prising at the rear end of the strips but they seem firmly fixed in place. I need to know how to look underneath at least one of them without damaging it because I want to replace it whilst roofbars etc are purchased. Hope someone knows!! and apologies for a rather basic question!! Mike M.

You may not need to remove the plastic strips, it looks as though not all roof bars fit under the strips. A search showed Micks garage roof bars on a video that do not look as if the strips are removed and these Thule instructions do not look like it either https://roofracks.co.uk/pdf-reader/web/viewer.html?file=https://roofracks.co.uk/_pdf/1313.pdf

If you do prise up the strips they may end up needing replacing, on our 2003 C3 I had to replace them when the underneath plastic channel griping the roof seam had weakened and they would not stay down at the ends.

If you want to fit the original fit sliding roof bars, the plastic strips are not used and instead a slide is screwed to the roof. The roof panel part number is only different if a gps aerial is installed so the screw holes will already be there. The parts diagrams also show the plastic strips are held on by hog rings part no. 832127 (clips) which are screwed to the roof, 8 on each side - so it looks as if a bit of force will pull off the plastic strips. The roof panel parts can be seen under Bodywork, Roof and Headlining Assembly, Roof Panel. If you have not registered to see the parts diagrams you can do this as a free service on the service.citroen site, register as an other professional and a member of the Citroen Owners Club http://service.citroen.com/do/changerParametres Use you VIN (VIS) in the top left to find your car.

• 4 months later...

The OP has not been on the forum since June 21st so it may be better to send a private message and if he has email alerts set up he will get it. Quickest way to do this is to move your mouse pointer over his name and then when the box appears with details, click on send message.

Hi, It was a while ago now but as far as I can remember the strips are held by several clamps along their length, and prevented from sliding by small plastic clips near to the front end of each strip. If you prise the front end of the strip from under the windscreen surround you may be able to see this clip - usually red in colour - but they are difficult to get the rubber strip away from them - I ended up destroying mine. If you intend to fit roof rails as I did new clips come with them. Once the rubber is free from the clip it can be slid out of the clamps and removed. A LOT of force may be needed to encourage the rubbers to slide the length of the car!!! Good luck!!!