C8 2.2 Hdi Vac. Problem ?

Rookie2

Hi

I recently purchased  the above with a blown turbo. I bought a cartridge and after clearing out all airways, oil ways, intercooler etc, I fitted the cartridge and started the engine.

Engine started easily (after false starts for priming the oil) and I left it to tick over for quite some time.

Revving the engine turned out to be a slow process, from tickover to 4000  rpm taking over 4 seconds.. Drove the car along the road and obviously thyere was clouds of some out of the exhaust which eventually eased of to a mild amount of smoke and zero on tick over.

Disconnected the MAF (with no noticeable chane in engine beat) and went for another drive, though the revs were not as they should be, they were certainly slightly better. Car seemed to have a lot more power but, as I drove the short distance back home, clouds and clouds of smoke belched from the exhaust and the Turbo started with the "Police Siren" noise.

I am assuming that I have blown the new cartridge (Chinese) or at least the seals in it. My question is this, I noticed that the brakes on the car are very poor, as if there was little or no Vaccuum to operate them. Could the lack of that vacuum have over pressurised the turbo and blown the seals or would it have had the opposite effect ?

All of the vacuum lines have been checked but that doesn't mean to say that the Vacuum pump is not caput.

I did not measure the oil flow from the turbo supply but it was flowing freely, I also did not remove the sump and clean out the oil pump.

Any ideas chaps ?

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I did actually drain the intercooler etc s I was looking for the fragments of the turbine blades from the old turbo which had gone adrift.

I've been trying to get my head around the vacuum problem and will, as you suggest, clean the vac pump, however still trying to work out the affects of loss or too much vacuum on these engines.

Would an overboost push oil past the turbo seals ?

Thanks

the turbo and egr solenoids work by vacum of the vacum pump so if you dont have correct vacum they cant function. so no turbo or egr and that gives the symptoms your describing.  If u have a vacum gauge try it on one of the solenoids and your looking for a minimum of 28 ing on the gauge. a quicker check would be to pull the main pipe of the vacum pump and put your finger on the pump outlet and see if its sucking.  If its not then its goosed as they have a habbit of destroying themselves when the turbo goes.  If it is knackered dont buy one as there stupid money and ive got about 10 of them just lying around and your more than welcome to have one.

Brilliant, just the sort of tips I was looking for. Sometimes it's awkward when you get so invo;ved that you can't see the wood for the trees. then someone comes along and brings you back to earth with a bump.

I have got a Vac pump and will try what you say, at the moment I have it back on the ramps and have removed all of the air pipes and the intercooler. I was expecting to see far more oil in there (an egg cup full), so not sure if that is an amalamation of the oil that was left in the system after the original turbo blew.

• 3 months later...

Just to bring this post to an end......

It turns out I had a faulty Turbo pressure control switch (the one that sits next to the EGR control switch.

Also the cartridge for the turbo that I bought had started to howl but luckily I saw a brand new turbo on ebay for less than 200 so bought that.

Everything was cleaned out including the sump and oil pump and under the rocker cover, flushed engine 3 times.

Removed exhaust, the CAT and the FAP Filter were blocked solid with oil deposits. The additive tank was empty anyway so I knocked out the FAP Filter and left the FAP injection pipes in place but disconnected the sensor plug located above the injector pipes.

I got a company in Bristol to email me a copy of my ECU readout with the FAP and EGR removed. Once uploaded I started the engine and low and behold no lights on.

There was heavyish smoke coming from the exhaust for about 3 hours of driving but this finally cleared from the CAT.and the car has now done over 1000 miles without a hickup and without a light on the dash.