Important Mark2 C5 Front To Rear Hydraulic Pipe Check!

MichaelDavis

I am posting this information to help everyone who has a Mark2 C5. The hydraulic pipe which runs along underneath the car on the drivers side on right hand drive cars has what i would describe as a design flaw from the factory- if you have a look underneath any C5 at the rear where the pipe exits from underneath the cowling you will find that the cowling is actually touching the pipe or if not it is very close to touching it. To rectify this please cut away a piece of the cowling very easily using a stanley knife so that the pipe will be clear from any chaffing. I know this as i have just had to have my pipe repaired - it could have cost me £800 at Citroen or also same at independent repairers but i found a solution which is a great repair. Check your pipework now before its too late as this can lead to catastrophic suspension failure - oh yes i lost all 5.5 litres of fluid due to this!!! 

If anyone wants to know the easiest and cheapest solution to repairing the pipework at the rear of hydraulics if yours has already started leaking then i can tell you how to make a successful repair for the least cost which is safe and will pass mot inspection.

Thank you for your attention

Michael

I have checked our 2007 C5 estate where the small diameter hydraulic pipe leaves the side undertray just in front of the fuel tank. I was pleased to find it is clear of the tray by about 5 mm and is not damaged. There was some grease on the pipe though so maybe I found this before and bent the pipe a bit out of the way, using grease to prevent pipe corrosion where the plastic covering was damaged.

That is exactly the place I was referring to Paul, I checked my neighbours C5 2007 2.0hdi saloon and he has now cut a section of the cowling away from the pipe so is no longer touching. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned checking their C5s as 2 out of 3 vehicles not being right is not a great ratio is it? It's a serious issue if people leave it as it will wear through the pipework- I even saw a C5 on eBay a few weeks ago that had this leak being sold for spares or repair so it does happen.

I've had our C5 since it was 4 years old so I must have found the pipe problem soon after getting it, well before it had the time to wear through but long enough ago to not remeber it. So if you include our car as having this problem and the one on ebay, then it is 4 out of 4 cars.

I will add this topic to the Common Problems one so hopefully it will be seen by more people.