2005 C3 1.4 hdi 90 engine not running

Chris-bluck

Hi everyone.

I have a Citroen C3 desire 2005, it's a 1.4 hdi 90. It was running fine then it started making a different sound to normal (kinda whistling, like air pushing out a small hole) Got home, started it again and slightly revved it, there was a sound like a belt slipping then it cut out even though my foot was still on the accelerator. Had the breakdown company out who plugged it in to the computer and it came up with a glow plug relay fault. I have changed that and it still won't start. Just turns over and is a little, umm, bouncy. I've also checked the cambelt. Any ideas please, I am absolutely out of ideas now. 

• paul.h changed the title to 2005 C3 1.4 hdi 90 engine not running

Welcome to the forum, I have changed the topic title a bit.

The glow plug failure is a common thing that does not normally affect running or starting except in possibly cold weather so can be ignored for now.

When you checked the timing belt were all the teeth in good condition and has it been replaced at the usual intervals (10 years or a mileage if sooner) ? Did you check if it was timed up correctly in case it has slipped/jumped a tooth ?

The whistling noise might be an air leak or a hose that has become detached so something to look for. I had a turbo fail on a car and that was making a slight whistling noise for some time and on accelerating there was smoke from the exhaust, as well as on start up. When it finally failed it was on the motorway and surrounded the car in smoke as I stopped.

If you have a code reader that does live data you could check if the fuel pump is giving enough pressure to run and the other sensors are giving normal values. You might also check the air filter is ok. With a diesel provided you get fuel and air into the engine and it turns over fast enough it should run, so you could try something like easy start. The exhaust also needs to not be blocked - there was a case on here where an engine would not run well and it was the exhaust. Have a look at the crank shaft pulley to make sure its rubber insert has not perished.