Crazy Berlingo Electrics

kevin/durham

I have a 53 plate Berlingo 2.0 hdi Desire and in the last 24 hours my electrics have gone from, no problem to a complete nightmare. Dont know if the rain has got in somewhere or if its a known problem with a known fix? On a long journey in heavy rain yesterday, the wipers started to pause mid sweep of the screen and restart, then they stopped working for a while. The STOP light on the dash would flash on and off briefly with, at the same time the dash brake light AND the seat belt light all going off at the same time. I stopped but all seemed to be OK with dash lights coming on/off and windscreen wipers stop/starting. I continued home with this and also noticed the air con stop working when wipers stopped and dash lights came on, the air con switch light was on but the car misted up straight away. After parking the car at home and emptying most of my stuff out, it was left unlocked outside the house for a couple of hours until last night I went to get some more stuff out and lock it up. I opened the door and as I did so the radio came on, EVERY dash light and interior light came on and the headlights came on, the whole car lit up! the light switch was in the off position and I hadnt put the key in the ignition. I put the key in and tried to start the engine, it turned over as normal but it didnt start, I only gave it a couple of goes. I closed the door and tried to lock it with the key fob button but it wouldnt, I locked it with key in lock and left it to stand to see what would happen, still completely lit up, after the same delay as would take for the inside light to fade out the headlights went out and the car sat in darkness (thank god!). The fob doesnt work and on opening it this morning using lock the same thing as last night happened and no start, its like something out of a horror movie!!!!!!!

Ive never experienced it though my ZXs and C15s werent as complex in the electrical department as this one.

Anyone got any ideas, dont know if it needs an auto electrician or priest???????????

do you know if the vehicle has had a windscreen fitted recently?.....its not unusual for a screen if replaced to leak from the drivers side top corner, and run down under the dash to drip all over the main computer which is above pedal assy.

If the screen is leaking you need to get it fixed and probably replace the BSI (main computer) it is unlikely this will dry out and work properly again.

do you know if the vehicle has had a windscreen fitted recently?.....its not unusual for a screen if replaced to leak from the drivers side top corner, and run down under the dash to drip all over the main computer which is above pedal assy.

If the screen is leaking you need to get it fixed and probably replace the BSI (main computer) it is unlikely this will dry out and work properly again.

Thanks, no, Ive had it from new and its never had a replacement screen............ouch BSI sounds expensive!

I think i would still be checking the BSI....might be worh disconnecting And reconnecting the battery first. Thn check fuses around BSI, then unplug the BSI connector at a time checking for water in the connectors........after that it will be book it in with your local dealer i'm afraid.

I think i would still be checking the BSI....might be worh disconnecting And reconnecting the battery first. Thn check fuses around BSI, then unplug the BSI connector at a time checking for water in the connectors........after that it will be book it in with your local dealer i'm afraid.

Have done the battery disconnected thing and waited before reconnecting.

Just the same.

Checked every fuse that I can get my fingers into. Tried to pull out BSI.....hope I did anyway, a Siemens unit with just about every wire from the car connected to it in some way......It didnt want to come out so I didnt force it, didnt remove any connectors but couldnt feel any water. Its now about 30 hours since parking it up, so suppose any small amount of water could have gone now.

Thanks again for your help.

Suppose Ill have to grit my teeth and think of Visa card

Kevin