Petrol Gauge

Tyke

Was going to buy a second hand Toyota Yaris intil i discovered that C1 had a Toyota engine and was a lot cheaper .

Bought a nice new Vibe for £5.500 and i think its a smart looking supermini with a lot going for it and so economical.

One question i have is how many miles can you do once the bottom petrol gauge indicator as started to flash?

Also how many miles are folk getting from a full tank.?

if you want to find out how far it will go with the light on, go get a gallon of fuel and carry it round in the boot till the car conks out!

The object of the warning lamp isnt to give tank range, its a warning that you are going to run out of fuel and should have filled up already.

in the same question you could ask "how long will the engine run after the oil light comes on?", now i realise the effects are more detremental, but you wouldnt do it, would you?

PS:

I do remember an occasion where a customer rung me up and had a coversation with me about the 'stop' light that was blinding them on the dash.....the customer had been travelling through london and as it wasnt affecting the way the engine ran so didnt feel inclined to do what the car was indicating. They travelled 5 miles before the brakes failed completely....at which point i would imagine the customer was shouting 'stoppppp' at the car......in this occassion the hydrualic system had failed.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure exactly, but I think it's more than you'd realise - my usual fill-up is about 34 litres (35 litre tank remember), but the other week I let it go for a little longer, and put in 36.8 litres... I'm guessing either there's a small hole in the tank at the top, or it can go fairly far!

I've had mine for 8 days and it seems to be drinking like Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears at a free bar.

To answer the question... when it starts flashing there's 5 litres left, just over a gallon. So I'm guessing 50 miles.

When the flashing increases there's 3 litres left.

What are you getting MPG? Are you heavy with the right foot though? I'm getting the 62MPG but then I'm light footed and on open roads with not to many junctions. I fill mine up after 400 Miles on a tank and usaully have two bars remaining.

That's my problem - I get that kind of consumption when I try... trouble is, that engine sounds far too good to let it run slowely!

I get 400 Miles for £26 so if your paying more than £30 for 400 miles you might have a Problem with the sensors or engine management system.

Wow thats amazing, 400 miles on £26 of petrol

You must drive it real steady and nice

I get about 400+ miles on £30 of petrol if im lucky.

What are other C1 owners getting to a full tank.?

The price of Fuel here is 92.9p a litre. My journey is out of town through country lanes mostly hoveering around 50MPH and not many junctions to stop hence the better economy. I always fill up when I hit the 400 mile mark but its showing two bars at that point. I don't hammer the engine as I have had a three cylinder before and they don't take the punishment so be warned. I find the car is getting better MPG and feeling faster with age. It can now pull in 5th from 35 MPH where as before you had to be over 40MPH. I've done 2,200 miles so far and its suppose to get even better :-)

What are you getting MPG? Are you heavy with the right foot though? I'm getting the 62MPG but then I'm light footed and on open roads with not to many junctions. I fill mine up after 400 Miles on a tank and usaully have two bars remaining.

I haven't worked it out yet, it's not settled down and I've been away from it from 1 week out of 3. But it's not looking anything like 62mpg.

I'm up to 610m on the clock and have put in probably £80+ of petrol (though, to be fair there's 2/3 of a tank left).

I'm not especially heavy-footed but almost all of my mileage is short stop-start journeys.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just done the maths, reckon I get about 38mpg. I'd say I do about 30% town driving, 30% A-Roads and 40% motorway. Get about 280-300 miles before having to fill up.

:lol: Eeep! I'm a really aggressive, fast driver - and on combined cycle I get around 340-360 miles to a tank, and when driving better get around 380-400 miles - record currently 414.6 miles to a tank. :(

You guys should be getting over 400 Miles to a tank unless your a heavy footed driver or sit in traffic all day.

JW191, I think you should analise your driving or take the car back as doing those journey's you should be getting more than that. Do you do more than the 70MPH though as little cars suffer badly if you do. You'll be better off getting a bigger engined car.

Mine is £27 a Tank at 92p a Litre getting 410 miles.......

I get on average 58 MPG, which is just as good as my prevoius Smart Fotwo.

On the subject of the engine noise from the C1's three cylinder engine, well, the Smart car had a 600cc three cylinder engine/ turbo version in the rear of the cabin, and that was REAL noisy in comparison.

I do have to agree that the Aygo Toyota transmission in the C1 is the best, I just love Japanese gearboxes for easy changing and light clutches.

Thats the only reason I bought the C1, because of Japanese reliability, and it was cheaper than the Aygo :(

I think thats the reason many people have bought the C1, its Jap yet a lot cheaper than a Toyota. I went for the Cool version, a Vibe but with Air Con for £250 more.

I don't find the engine to noisy, the exhaust even has a sporty sound to it. I find its the Tyres that are at fault. They have fitted the car with friction reduction tyres to get better economy but they always suffer more noise. I'll change them over to Goodyears once its due and report if this cures the problem.

You guys should be getting over 400 Miles to a tank unless your a heavy footed driver or sit in traffic all day.

JW191, I think you should analise your driving or take the car back as doing those journey's you should be getting more than that. Do you do more than the 70MPH though as little cars suffer badly if you do. You'll be better off getting a bigger engined car.

Mine is £27 a Tank at 92p a Litre getting 410 miles.......

Theres nothing wrong with the car, I just drive it too "enthusiastically". I do really need a bigger car and the C1 is a temporary vehicle (meaning I do plan on replacing it). Two top contenders for replacement are Cooper S JCW and 350z. Won't be for another 6mths or so though!