Sliding Rear Seat Problem

Penguin

Hi

My 1.9D Aura is supposed to have a sliding rear seat but it is stuck in the forward position. Has anyone had a similar problem with their ZX and know what caused it? I have googled for the problem but their were no hits, so maybe I am the first person ever to experience this problem?

:rolleyes:

Cheers

The problem can occur in either one of the following:

1. You have handle (below the middle part of the seat) which, while turning it counter clockwise) should enable you to move the seat. If it broken or not functioning - you will not be able to move the seat.

2. Some garbage, or little stone/object/what so ever is stuck in one of the rails (there are 3). you have to crawl there and see what is the cause for the seat to get stuck.

The problem can occur in either one of the following:

1. You have handle (below the middle part of the seat) which, while turning it counter clockwise) should enable you to move the seat. If it broken or not functioning - you will not be able to move the seat.

2. Some garbage, or little stone/object/what so ever is stuck in one of the rails (there are 3). you have to crawl there and see what is the cause for the seat to get stuck.

I believe it is number 1. According to my owner's manual I should just pull up on the handle and that should enable the seat to move, I haven't tried turning it counter clockwise. When I pull up on it I don't get the feeling that anything is disengaging. Do you know what normally breaks on these to cause this and is it repairable?

Thanks for any help.

Penguin

Guest Colin Hunter

It's very much like the mechanism for adjusting the front seats. Try moving both your front seats forward out of the way, then get in the back and, while holding the handle up rock backwards & forwards to see if you can get it to move. If you look in the boot there are 2 covers clipped to the back of the seat which "extend" the boot floor when the seats are forward. if you remove them you should be able to see the slides and if anything is causing the relaease mechanism to jam. While you're there you coul put a little oil on the slides. You will also be able to see the bolts which secure the slides to the car. There are another two on the front of the seat under plastic covers. take these out and the whole shebang should be able to be taken out. You will then be able to see what's wrong with the release lever. Cheers.

It's very much like the mechanism for adjusting the front seats. Try moving both your front seats forward out of the way, then get in the back and, while holding the handle up rock backwards & forwards to see if you can get it to move. If you look in the boot there are 2 covers clipped to the back of the seat which "extend" the boot floor when the seats are forward. if you remove them you should be able to see the slides and if anything is causing the relaease mechanism to jam. While you're there you coul put a little oil on the slides. You will also be able to see the bolts which secure the slides to the car. There are another two on the front of the seat under plastic covers. take these out and the whole shebang should be able to be taken out. You will then be able to see what's wrong with the release lever. Cheers.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try and give it a go at the weekend - weather permitting :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

My 1.9D Aura is supposed to have a sliding rear seat but it is stuck in the forward position. Has anyone had a similar problem with their ZX and know what caused it? I have googled for the problem but their were no hits, so maybe I am the first person ever to experience this problem?

;)

Cheers

They are fairly difficult to move, so maybe you might want to get in the front, wedge your back up against the dashboard (mind the gearstick!) and shove with your feet whilst someone lifts the handle up.

They are fairly difficult to move, so maybe you might want to get in the front, wedge your back up against the dashboard (mind the gearstick!) and shove with your feet whilst someone lifts the handle up.

Thanks for the tip but I'm pretty confident that it's not a force issue as I recruited one of the strongest guys at my work to try and move it and we still came up blank! It definitely 'feels' like the catches aren't releasing and I'm hoping to be able to get the seat removed at the end of this week as I'll be off work for Christmas break.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Colin Hunter

Yeah! It's a bit of a dead loss really. I put an "Aura" interior in my son's Elation as the drivers seat was knackered and it was cheaper than trying to repair it. Paid a young lad £50 for the seats and door cards etc out of a car he was scrapping. Put it all in no bother except having to change the front seat sub-frames over due to the elation havindg seat belt pre-tensioners. Point is that the original rear seat just folded in the normal way and was actually more usefull than the sliding one out of the Aura. The Aura back seat is a lot more comfy though.