Zx Alarm Problem

Guest John W

Guest John W

This is a cry for help! A couple of weeks ago I was away and on return found the battery dead. Since then the alarm has gone haywire, sometimes activating as I open the door to get out, other times as I close the door after getting out. According to my owner's manual there is a magical switch behind the R/H headlamp (operated by the ignition key) which deactivates the siren. To save me pulling the last few strands of hair from my head can anyone offer any sort of help-preferably where to find this non existent switch.Pleaseee

Assuming you ZX has the switch it should be found in the panel above the rear of the o/s headlamp.....having said that, not all ZX's with alarms had that switch.....and if it isnt a genuine alarm it wouldnt have it either.

The other method for disarming the alarm is to open the door (alarm sounds), put key in ignition switch and turn to accessory position (you have 10 seconds to do that), and then press a button on the dash which is to the right of the steering wheel, the switch has a picture of a siren on it with a cross through it.......and if your lucky pressing the switch will cancel the alarm.

Guest John W
Assuming you ZX has the switch it should be found in the panel above the rear of the o/s headlamp.....having said that, not all ZX's with alarms had that switch.....and if it isnt a genuine alarm it wouldnt have it either.

The other method for disarming the alarm is to open the door (alarm sounds), put key in ignition switch and turn to accessory position (you have 10 seconds to do that), and then press a button on the dash which is to the right of the steering wheel, the switch has a picture of a siren on it with a cross through it.......and if your lucky pressing the switch will cancel the alarm.

Hi KFK- Thanks for the advice. I've had the car from new so know its a genuine part- Unfortunately I appear to have one of the models without the alarm disable switch. I can and do cancel the alarm using the method you advise however there's obviously a fault because the next time I use the car the problem invariably returns hence the need to permanently disarm the siren. Regards John W

• 7 months later...
Hi KFK- Thanks for the advice. I've had the car from new so know its a genuine part- Unfortunately I appear to have one of the models without the alarm disable switch. I can and do cancel the alarm using the method you advise however there's obviously a fault because the next time I use the car the problem invariably returns hence the need to permanently disarm the siren. Regards John W

I have exactly the same problem and it is very irritating! :angry:

Come on! someone must have a solution?

Simon zx 1.4 1996 petrol hatch