Remote Locking Fob

johnnylad123

If memory serves me correctly the remote keys have a number inside them.....and the receiver in the car also has a number on it......to work the numbers need to be the same......as i said.....if memory serves me correctly........you could open the remote fob and have a look see if it has a number.....and check the fob you have and the sensor in the roof up by the interior light.

have you got 2 keys? if yes put the working key with fob in the ignition and switch to position 2 auxiliary position then hold the second fob very close to the receiver ( little blackish thing next to the front dome light ) press and hold the lock/unlock button for 20 seconds so its stores the fob code ( one off another car wont do this so the fob has to be clear of coding security reasons of course ) then it should work

have you got 2 keys? if yes put the working key with fob in the ignition and switch to position 2 auxiliary position then hold the second fob very close to the receiver ( little blackish thing next to the front dome light ) press and hold the lock/unlock button for 20 seconds so its stores the fob code ( one off another car wont do this so the fob has to be clear of coding security reasons of course ) then it should work

unfortunately only got the 1 key, if I understand you correctly the fob is built into the key in the method your describing, is that right? Also don't know how to clear code from secondhand fob, think I might being a little optomistic getting another fob working boo hoo!!!!

that car isn't key chipped like the newer ones so the remote is a separate issue and only for locking for dosnt because it has the key pad immobiliser

no keypad on this one, it's been fitted with a CONLOG aftermarket immobiliser which again I've only the 1 plastic "key" for it! As you may be able to tell I'm trying to sort a spare for each of these items before I end up being locked out.

simple one here then, put you working key in the ignition and turn to auxiliary then hold the fob withing 10 cm of the receiver press and hold the lock/unlock button for 20 seconds ( some cars you have to press the button 20 times as fast as you can ) then remove you key from the ignition then test the new fob, if it doesn't work the key has been programed to another car and only a diagnostic tool can clear it,

good thing with the age of that car is its not a chipped key and good luck :)

simple one here then, put you working key in the ignition and turn to auxiliary then hold the fob withing 10 cm of the receiver press and hold the lock/unlock button for 20 seconds ( some cars you have to press the button 20 times as fast as you can ) then remove you key from the ignition then test the new fob, if it doesn't work the key has been programed to another car and only a diagnostic tool can clear it,

good thing with the age of that car is its not a chipped key and good luck ;)

Tried both of these solutions several times but no success. If I understand you correctly the way your describing the ignition key it sounds like it has some form of chip in it. The only one I've got which came with the car is just plain with no microchips in it. Any other suggestions that I could try??

only the later ones had the chip in the key and they would need diagnostic too to clear it as its part of the immobiliser early one had the keypad near the gear stick, I cant understand why it wont program as that's whet the book says on programming it ( they fob has to be clear of any other cars coding ) to prevent anyone just programming any fob into it, chip and key is a totally different thing

only the later ones had the chip in the key and they would need diagnostic too to clear it as its part of the immobiliser early one had the keypad near the gear stick, I cant understand why it wont program as that's whet the book says on programming it ( they fob has to be clear of any other cars coding ) to prevent anyone just programming any fob into it, chip and key is a totally different thing

ok thanks for that, will try and get the fob cleared then see if the method you've described works. Will post results as and when progress or failure is achieved!!

I would refer you back to this post here I think your wasting your time.

Think of it like getting a key cut......while the key is blank it can be cut to any lock it fits......once you have cut the key however, it will only fit the lock it has been cut to work with.

So........back to the problem in hand.......you have a second hand remote control, it has been programmed at the factory to work with another reciever fitted to another vehicle.....because of the technology at the time of the ZX it isnt possible to reprogram the remote to work with a different reciever, the only way it would work on your vehicle is if you had purchased the remote control and the reciever. and then fitted them to your vehicle as a matched pair.

• 3 weeks later...
I would refer you back to this post here I think your wasting your time.

Think of it like getting a key cut......while the key is blank it can be cut to any lock it fits......once you have cut the key however, it will only fit the lock it has been cut to work with.

So........back to the problem in hand.......you have a second hand remote control, it has been programmed at the factory to work with another reciever fitted to another vehicle.....because of the technology at the time of the ZX it isnt possible to reprogram the remote to work with a different reciever, the only way it would work on your vehicle is if you had purchased the remote control and the reciever. and then fitted them to your vehicle as a matched pair.

Cheers for the info. Just makes me wonder then if I lost my 1 original remote then how would I get around the problem, buy a new remote & receiver from Citroen??