Gearbox Trouble

Martin_1973_uk

Your gearbox oil is thicker than engine oil, and its even thicker when in winter conditions till it runs up to speed after a few miles driving.

But having owned a C1 for two winters now, I have not had a diffcult gear change as you mention.

I would recomend not waiting for the service interval, and let the garge see the gearbox operation when the car starts up from cold in winter conditions.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm finding my gearbox getting very stiff when trying to engage gear, especially when its cold. When going in to second when its cold it also crunchies. I'm having them look at it at the second service. Anyone else had the same problem?

hi there just saw your post and i seem to be having trouble getting mine in reverse its still under warrenty till end of november do you think i should get it checked and would it be coverd do you think

I took my in to the garage and they didn't seem to think anything was wrong with it. They did sugest having it over night and trying it on a cold start as it is far worse when it is a cold morning. I'll monitor mine and see if it needs doing as I still have over a year and half on warranty. Yours should be covered under the warrenty and if it isn't then let hell lose. I would most certainly go and get yours checked. Maybe this is a weakness of C1's, the long termness of the GearBox or Clutch!!!!!!!

had one with this problem last week. removed the gearbox and found 2 of the 3 spring fixings on the pressure plate had broken causing the clutch to stay slightly engaged when pressed.

we went through a spate of those....then no more problems.

Maybe mine is one that hasn't been fixed yet? Problem is would it be worse when it was colder if this was the problem? It also crunches when going in to second when very cold but only for about half a mile before the engine and gearbox warms up. If it continues I'll take up there offer of a cold start.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Andrea

noticed problems with gear changing also-car only 6 months old. it was especially when going from 5 to four before approaching a curve/bend in road where going just a tad slower was necessary. the stick would REFUSE to move, and when it did move, i ended up in second and the engine was none too pleased about that. i've been keeping an eye on that manouvre since last week, and so far so good. maybe i was being a bit rough with it, i dont know.

however, i HAVE noticed it being a bit crappy when trying to select reverse. at times it just WONT do it....just a quirK i expect, or should i really be going back to the shop with it?