Little Screamer

winger

Members,

I have recently bought a 06 vts C2. I have been struck by how much it revs when driving. I admit I have moved on from a 2.2 honda diesel! But when I have compared the speed to revs on my girlfriends car I am a little worried. At 60mph in the C2 its doing 3200rpm in her 1.4 golf its doing just 3000rpm. But the confusion comes when the C2 is doing 70mph and 4000revs while the golf just touches 3200.My main concern is fuel consumption. The published stats for combined are 40mpg but im scraping 35mpg and Im driving bang on speed limits and even 65 on the motorway! I have owned a C2 gt in the past and cant remember the revs (and engine noise) being an issue.

Id had thought in a 1600 it would be reving lower. Am I being paranoid or should I get it checked? [/font]

17½ mph per 1000rpm does not seem right, more like 3rd gear. Most cars in top gear will be 25 to 35 mph per 1000 rpm depending on engine size. Is it an auto gearbox ?

No its a 5 speed manual. The golf can do 80 and not break 4000rpm. At that rev Im just doing over 70! Any solutions??