Replaced Tailgate Gas Struts On Mk 1 Estate Myself.

fatgut

Finally did this slightly arkward job myself recently after 3 years of putting up with a sagging tailgate. (Finally got to point where it would only stay half open even in hot weather!) Had no luck in end with getting a company to re-gas the struts as they said they would not fit their jig, so had to buy 2 new ones from Citroen dealer who sold them at a 'cheaper' price than the German manufacturer's UK agent. The job entails getting the plastic trim off the tailgate glass hinges first, so doing the rear window 'fix' was the first step, or just get to the solenoid to manually pop the glass open if you're not bothered about an opening rear window if yours has stopped working. Then I also got the large black plastic trim off that runs the whole width of the back end of the roof, but I'm not sure that was really necessary now. Easy to unclip with the usual careful force though. Gas struts for tailgate itself (ie not glass) are the outer ones, use small screwdriver to prise under metal clip to pull it fully off as you'll be binning the strut anyway, then use very big flatblade screwdriver to prise end of strut off ball, will pop off easily, and no danger as strut is fully open. Getting to other end means removing the two rear luggage net / dog guard fixings in the roof lining, then pull back the plastic trim at the bottom of the vertical piece of trim in the rear corners so can then pull off those vertical pieces of trim that hold up the roof lining at the rear corners. It all just pulls off with a bit of careful force. Then you can gently pull the roof lining down at the rear corners, as held up with adhesive pads which will can substitute with strong double sided sticky pads when re-assemble. You then can just about get your head in to see the end of the struts. (Reading glasses required for me at this point as its close range, and also mini head torch too as a bit dark.) I had to buy a pair of circlip pliers too here as I could not remove the circlip that secures the end of the struts without the right tool. Once they are off keep hold of them as the new stuts do not come with circlips. The struts are now free. Installation is reverse of removal, except it takes about one tenth of the time because you know what you're doing now. I have posted this because I've never found an account of how to do this job anywhere yet, but seen plenty of posts about sagging C5 tailgates.

• Upvote 2

IMPORTANT ADDITION!! Sorry cannot see how to edit my original post here, so will have to add this. I forgot that the reason the hinge trim was not on was due to the need to finish off repairing the 3rd brake light and nothing to do with gas strut replacement. To replace gas struts for tailgate only then the glass does NOT have to open at all, and the only plastic trim to remove on the outside of the car is definately the large piece that goes across the whole width at the top that very obviously is in the way. The other really critical point I missed is that I put my step ladder under the tailgate to take it's weight when the gas struts were taken off, as it is quite heavy and the window glass gas struts do not really help to reduce the weight at all.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Many thanks for these helpful notes. I replaced my struts yesterday with comparative ease (must be easy if I can do it). A couple of points occurred to me which I will add here.

Although it's obvious really, I got the best view of the inner end of the struts and circlips by sitting in the boot with the rear seat folded flat facing the rear of the car and my back holding the roof lining down (take care not to bend it too much).

I found circlip pliers with 90 degree bends the easiest to use (handles vertical away from roof).

As I had no double-sided tape I put a dab of Gorilla glue on the roof lining to hold it in place. The lining goes back quite easily and the expanding Gorilla glue (expanding foam) didn't push it out of shape at all.

Now, dare I tackle the rear brake caliper job?

David

Take a bit of getting used to a tailgate which stays up on its own, though!

• 1 year later...

Facing this job on my 2003 C5 estate- can only find struts listed for Hatchback anywhere.

Anyone know if the struts are the same on Estate and Hatchback? - keen to get spares first as taking them off to read Original part number [ideal solution] leaves dismantled car while waiting for new ones to come!

Thanks!!

Richard

The estate tailgate struts are Citroen part no. 8731F4 (£55.14 from citroencarparts.net each). The glass struts are 8731F7 (£17.07 each). These are not the same as the hatchback (8731F5 or F6 if no wiper) and may only be available from a dealer. I would not bother with used ones since replacing them is a common problem so used ones may be no better than your old ones. When the weather warms up yours will work a bit better. If you need new circlips these are part nos. 697985 (£27.50 for 50, so best to get individually from your dealer).

Parts do not usually have the Citroen part no. on them, possibly just a manufacturers no. So removing the old ones first would not necessarily help sourcing replacement ones.