Catalytic Converter - Which One?

AfroBeanz

Hi, I run a Citroen C4 1.6 hatchback auto 2005. I had an error message showing on my dash "anti-pollution failure". I had hoped it maybe a faulty sensor or a leaky joint but Yeomens Citroen diagnosed a failing catalytic converter and a failing coil pack (producing a slight misfire). I understand a misfire may not totally burn fuel which can in turn start to break down the catalytic converter. However, for the moment I cannot  detect any obvious misfire or poor peformance. I am resigned to the fact that both the coil pack and converter will need exchanging.

I am not prepared to go down the route of shelling out close to £900 (£200 for the coil pack and £700 for the cat) to Yeomens to exchange and fit these items. Instead I have sourced a coil pack for less than £40 (with 2 year warrenty) which I shall fit myself. The catalytic converter is not so straight forward. I have found a mechanic who would be happy to fit a cat that I can supply. Trouble is at this stage I am not sure which I can buy, so I am seeking members' advise.

When I go to large discount retailers such as Eurocarparts, I input the vehicle reg which then leads to the "correct" cat for my vehicle. This has an SKU code: 724 731 310 and is in the region of £145. However, if I carry out a more general search for a cat to fit a C4 1.6 2005 numerous suppliers offer a cat with an SKU code: 724 730 300 in the region of £70. Both these cats appear to look identical and have the same spec. Naturally I would like to get away with spending as little as I can but do not want to buy a part that will either not fit, perform or create a fault code.

Any thoughts?

Looking at the Citroen parts diagrams without having your VIN, there are many different part nos. for the front downpipe/catalyst. So it could be the different ones you have found may be for different variations of the C4. The best thing to do would be to use your VIN (VIS) in the parts diagrams to get the Citroen part no. and then do your searching to find an equivalent lower cost catalyst. You can see the diagrams as a free service on the service.citroen site if you register as another professional and a member of the Citroen Owners Club http://service.citroen.com/do/changerParametres

I do not think a failing cat would affect the car running unless it was restricting the flow, but it could affect the emissions and give a fault code based on the downstream lambda sensor and fail the MOT

Looking at the Citroen parts diagrams without having your VIN, there are many different part nos. for the front downpipe/catalyst. So it could be the different ones you have found may be for different variations of the C4. The best thing to do would be to use your VIN (VIS) in the parts diagrams to get the Citroen part no. and then do your searching to find an equivalent lower cost catalyst. You can see the diagrams as a free service on the service.citroen site if you register as another professional and a member of the Citroen Owners Club http://service.citroen.com/do/changerParametres

I do not think a failing cat would affect the car running unless it was restricting the flow, but it could affect the emissions and give a fault code based on the downstream lambda sensor and fail the MOT

Paul H, thank you very much for that info. I have now registered and able to log on to the service site and now have a world of info the Citroen Dealers say they cannot divulge!? Ha ha, we'll see about that...Anyway, I hope this will clarify the exact part required (once I check my VIN number) and will let the forum know how I get on.