Blue Hdi

Hey folks. 

New member here although we have had 5 Citroen's over the years, so we love the brand. I have a question regarding the adblue on our new C3 Picasso. We have only had it for 3 months and have currently done around 800 miles in it. I know that the adblue will require topping up at some point. The thing is that I am struggling to find out where to do it. The instruction manual is rubbish and the Mycitroen website is even worse. What is it with Citroen? They really don't want you to do it yourself. They seem to say take it to a Citroen dealer and they can do it. Well I DON'T want to take it to a Citroen dealer. I am more then capable of doing it myself. Surely it is no different to putting any other liquid in? Diesel, Oil, Coolant, Screenwash. It is really irritating when Citroen seem to treat you like an idiot. And as far as Mycitroen is concerned. Well, I wish I hadn't bothered with that. It appears to be nothing more than a way of screwing even more money out of you. Citroen are certainly not endearing themselves in my opinion.

Well sorry for my little rant, but if someone can point me in the direction of how to do the adblue I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Malc 

Hello & welcome to the forum. It's better not to put the same topic on two sections of the forum since it splits the replies so if you don't mind, I've deleted one of them. Regarding the topping up of Adblue, I can't see any reason why you would need to go to the dealer for him to do it. You can buy it, and get free delivery from several companies on ebay for around 20 litres for under 20 quid. I was recently in Spain and when refilling my tank with diesel, I noticed the Adblue dispensers on the forecourts. Since the pumps were there it can't be a major job to top up.

I think Citroen may have sized the adblue tank (possibly around 17 litres) so there should be enough to last between services but if you run out it will prevent the engine running. You may find the tank filler nozzle could be in the boot but if you do add any make sure you do not spill it since it will stink the boot out until you can clean it out - a neighbour accidentally spilt some in the boot of a VW when the container fell over, it dried out but left a covering of crystals.

I think Citroen may be trying to limit information to owners or making it difficult to find out, possibly in the hope of getting more work at the dealers. If you look in the Maintenance/Warranty book, it used to give a list of service items and the mileage/time intervals. Now it only gives the systematic operations (things done every service) which are a few checks and changing the oil and filter but does not even tell you when these should be done, other than saying the car was supplied with a service plan. The service plan though just says service due at x miles without saying what is needed. You then need to register on MyCitroen but this still does not tell you much. However, if you register on service.citroen (as other professional non emergency services and a member of the Citroen Owners Club) you can use your VIN (VIS) and then print out a service item list with miles/time intervals but it does not list the systematic operations. If you do register you also get free access to the parts diagrams. http://service.citroen.com/pages/index.jsp

Just found this:

http://www.citroendorchester.co.uk/about-us/dealer-news/adblue-top-ups-at-dealer/

Not sure whether the quoted £9.99 includes the Adblue (probably not!) but it seems that Paul is right - Citroen don't want YOU to top up the reservoir!

'If you need a top-up just pop in, sit down with some refreshments and relax - we’ll take care of it while you wait for just Â£9.99.
We’ll even wash your car for free during your visit.'

You will go when the low level message comes up so possibly needing about 15 litres having done about 10k miles and your car may be coming up to a year old or more. If this does include the adblue then it does not seem too bad unless they only do a top up and not a full refill. But then whilst having the relaxation, refreshments and waiting for the car wash, you are bound to look at the new cars and it could be expensive.

• Upvote 1

Hello & welcome to the forum. It's better not to put the same topic on two sections of the forum since it splits the replies so if you don't mind, I've deleted one of them. Regarding the topping up of Adblue, I can't see any reason why you would need to go to the dealer for him to do it. You can buy it, and get free delivery from several companies on ebay for around 20 litres for under 20 quid. I was recently in Spain and when refilling my tank with diesel, I noticed the Adblue dispensers on the forecourts. Since the pumps were there it can't be a major job to top up.

On a lot of cars the AddBlue filler is next to the diesel under the filler flap. Only the Blue additive filler nozzle will fit it though. This doesn't appear to be the case with Citroen!

I seem to remember that, some years ago, one could by Blue Diesel at most filling stations for a couple of centimes more. Is that still possible ?