Engine Doesn't Want To Idle Or Start When Hot

I drove my 2CV today for the first time in a few weeks. It is the first warm spring day in Virginia.   She started up fine and ran fine. After about 10 or 15 minutes she no longer wanted to idle, so I had to keep reving the engne at stop lights.  Finally she stalled and I could restart untill she cooled off.  

I have an electronic ignition - so I imagine it is fuel related.  Perhaps vapor lock.....any theories sugestions appreciated.

-Michael Fatsi 

Welcome to the forum.

I do not know how the 2CV controls the fuel mixture but it sounds as if it is too rich when hot or maybe the throttle plate is closing too much. So maybe a choke or other device that richens the mixture for starting is not stopping as the engine heats up. You should also check if the throttle plate and body is clean but any carbon build up can be cleaned off using a carburettor spray.

• 1 year later...

on the front of the carb is a 13mm nut undo it carefully and behind it is a brass filter screen clean the screen in some petrol and put it back.

failing that it could also be the coil getting to hot and breaking down, it is a common problem with 2cv's because of where the coil is mounted

on top of the light bar so close to the bonnet. I upgraded my coil with the Ecas Harley Davidson yellow coil and carbon leads, I had similar running problems to yours  with my 2cv.

occasionally she used to backfire to, all that went away when I replaced the coil pack.

if the car has been standing for a long time check the fuel pump to see if it has output pressure, the modern unleaded fuels can degrade the rubber diaphragms in the fuel pump.

always start a hot 2cv with your accelerator pushed to the floor then as she fires release the pedal. this is the way the old ami-8 engines needed to be started when hot which had the same engine as a 2cv.

mine also has 123 electronic ignition.

Edited by C5-Nigel