A Reverse Alternator. #puzzled.

O.C.D

Well folks have had my car (2014 1.6 eHDI exclusive) for two weeks now and since i got it the stop/start never worked and always showing economy mode so booked it into Citroen and they have told me it needs a new reverse alternator ????
The thing is they cant fit me in until the third week in July so im hoping the C4 does not lay down on me on my way or back from work.
Car has only 14000 miles ....not a good start.
Just to add insult to injury the wife's C4 is playing up as well and needs a high pressure fuel switch because hers is running a bit rough.
Thank god for warranties !!!!

I think the alternator may start the engine when in stop/start mode so is not an ordinary one and is expensive. You could check the battery voltage to see if it is still charging the battery, if it is and the voltage is low then possibly the battery may be due for replacement as well unless you are only doing short trips.

The stop/start may be a good idea to reduce emisions in towns but it can be at a high maintenance cost which wipes out any possible fuel cost savings, just as well it failed when under warranty since it may be in the high £100s to replace. Similarly the battery is a special one that seems to be a few £100. I do not know if it will affect the exhaust particulate filter either. Our C4 has stop/start and I am reluctant to use it since I do not think it will do the car any good long term.

I have edited your profile to add your car details to save you mentioning it every time in a new topic.

• Upvote 1

I think the alternator may start the engine when in stop/start mode so is not an ordinary one and is expensive. You could check the battery voltage to see if it is still charging the battery, if it is and the voltage is low then possibly the battery may be due for replacement as well unless you are only doing short trips.

The stop/start may be a good idea to reduce emisions in towns but it can be at a high maintenance cost which wipes out any possible fuel cost savings, just as well it failed when under warranty since it may be in the high £100s to replace. Similarly the battery is a special one that seems to be a few £100. I do not know if it will affect the exhaust particulate filter either. Our C4 has stop/start and I am reluctant to use it since I do not think it will do the car any good long term.

I have edited your profile to add your car details to save you mentioning it every time in a new topic.

Thanks for your reply Paul on this issue .....first of i drive to work 20 miles each way ..10% A roads and 90% motorway and because i start very early in the morning i will hardly ever use stop/start but ive paid Citroen for a car that is equipped with it so i want it working 100%.

Funny you mention the battery because if i drive to work (20 miles) and im to early for work i would always sit in the car park and listen to the radio with everything switched off but in the c4 i only get 2-3 minutes of radio then it goes into economy mode and the radio turns off and i can't even use the electric windows...when i mentioned this to the fella on the service reception he said he thought this was normal ...someone please tell me he is talking BS ,he said if i want to listen to the radio i would have to keep the engine running ,i told im it was not 1960 ..talk about getting fobbed off.

Paul please tell me this is not normal.!!!!

PS having trouble putting in an avatar ...help lol.

Regards

Mark.

Edited by O.C.D

Only 2-3 minutes before economy mode kicks in is a sign of a battery that is not charged. On our C4 it is a lot longer than that, more than enough for a motorway lunch stop with the radio on and the engine switched off. If you have a volt meter check the battery voltage, should be about 12.7 volts before the engine is started.

• Upvote 1

sound like someone has known about this fault and switched the stop/start off. economy mode can be altered using lexia and for it to be set to 3 minutes is just stupid.

Paul is spot on with there possibly being a battery fault. Take it to any motorist discount store or Halfords and they will do a load test on the battery free of charge. If its a Citroen warranty on the car then you can take it to another Citroen dealer who can maybe do it quicker

• Upvote 1

Just remembered that if the battery is low the stop/start is prevented from working, so another reason for the battery to be checked but you would think the Citroen dealer would have done this before deciding the alternator needed replacing.

• Upvote 1

Citroen said they did do a battery test and the alternator was at fault.....think I will push for a new battery as well, not being able to use the electric Windows unless the engine is running is a safty issue in my book....only have the car 2 weeks for flip sake !!!

• 7 months later...