Timing Belt

Cy294

Hello all, we are looking at a used C1 Flair, the 82 bhp version. I believe that it has a belt as opposed to a chain. 

What I would like to find out is, is it changed just on mileage which is 80,000 or is it on time. Or is it which ever comes first?

It is a 2015 registration with 20,000 miles on the clock. 

Any ideas or advice would be very much appreciated. 

All the Citroens we've had the timing belt was replaced on a mileage or 10 years, whichever came first and that is for Citroen parts - if copy parts are used the frequency might not be the same which is a consideration if the parts are not bought from a dealer. You do not have to wait the 10 years though and if you are planning on keeping a car long term then having it done sooner gives you the benefit for longer. At the same time the pulleys, tensioner and water pump are replaced as well as the long life anti freeze. The aux belt can also be replaced whilst it is off the car to save labour later.

We had a 1.4 petrol C3 2003 and I used to remove the timing belt top cover to check on the condition of the belt and make sure there were no oil leaks on to it which could reduce its life. It only needed a few bolts removing to do this check and gave me the confidence to leave it but I still replaced it at 8 years despite not being due on years or miles.

The C1 as well as the Peugeot and Toyota equivalents can be prone to water ingress at the back so have a look in the boot. It can get in around the tailgate high level brake light and the tail lights. If it has a Puretech engine do a search on engine problems since there is a recent post on spark plugs failing, timing belt problems, excessive oil use. If a vti engine do a similar search since these are prone to timing chain wear and oil use - our 2010 1.4 vti was like this.