C8 Tailgate Warning Light

Wirdip

Hi guys, first post so bear with me. Have just become owner of 2004 c8 2.0 hdi auto exclusive, nice car but annoying fault is that although the tailgate is shut, most times I stop then pull away I get 3 beeps and tailgate shows as open on centre console. The handle to open tailgate hardly moves when opening. Have dosed with wd40 no improvement. Is this a common fault? Could the brake lights be something to do with it as only happens after stopping. Where is sensor for tailgate.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Alan

Having found out this is a common problem and tailgate still refuses to open I removed internal trim and found the rear washer pipe was parted and everything was soaked. Drivers side rear quarter what is the p c b in a case above the door motor, this was wet so removed and dried then refitted, no change, have checked ( visual) wiring loom and can see no obvious damage. Would a Lexia pinpoint problem and if so is there anybody in Walsall, west midlands area who would be interested in earning some beer money. At the moment I cannot lock the car as alarm thinks tailgate is open and goes off.

Any other ideas/fixes would be appreciated.

I had the same issue with respect to the washer pipe, but other than soaking the inside of the car and the back windows was not being washed, it did not affect the tailgate, the parking sensor, or the lights in my case..

The black box you mention is the control unit for the parking sensors. If there is no rust, spray all harnesses an connecters with water repellant (WD40 or something similar), it is the leakage between the connector pins (due to minerals) that you need to ensure is not happening.. If leakage was the reason and looms and connectors are clean, it should work once dried.

p.s. I also had water leakage inside the tailgate, a cut in the pipe where it fits into the motor assembly, due to the plastic legs/holders of the washer motor assembly being broken (children banging the tailgate), and no amount of hard Epoxy could fix it long term.. I had to fabricate a metal plate to hold the assembly in position. You may wish to check that!!

Edited by Simple

The micro switches that tell the car a door is open are often built in to the locks. So it could be the door lock needs replacing. You could check its electrical connector is ok, the pins are clean and the wiring is ok (a common failure on Citroens is where the wiring goes between the door and body and is often hidden inside a plastic pipe so is not at first obvious). Also try working it manually with a screwdriver to close the latch and see if it shows anything on the warning message when the lock/latch is moved about. If you can work out which wires are for the micro switch in the lock you could try to bypass the switch so that you can lock the car until you get a new part or manage to fix it.

This is from the C5 Common Problems pinned topic:

32. C5 (X7) tourer high level brake light not working / boot lock switch not working / damaged rear wiring.

There have been 2 recent reports of the brake light failure caused by the wiring between the body and tailgate breaking at the top of the tailgate. The high level brake light wires are in a separate duct to the other wires. This should be checked before attempting to remove the light.

In one case the boot switch would not unlock the boot, it turned out a wire was damaged under the dash. See this topic from robskiing http://www.citroen-o...2861-boot-lock/ . Unfortunately he also had the steering rack seal fail.