Citroen C8 2.2 Hdi Engine Management Light On Motorway

stevestoys

Just took my citroen c8 2.2 hdi exclusive 2003 for its first towing test with my caravan. All went well . Loads of power until I got on motorway. Then as I got to a bit of an incline and give it more throttle the engine light came on and went into crawl mode. WTF. Been great before. No faults showed on screen . I pulled off motorway and reset engine light with my reset tool. Then about another 5 miles it came on again. What's going on. Tows really well but doesn't like motorways.

The reset tool is only cheap so codes don't relate to actual faults on car. I have had the diesel filter blocked message a few times weeks ago and that put the light on too. I think this message may have been disabled at the same time I had the tyre sensors turned off ( under warranty by sales garage ) but they never said. Don't even know if it's possible to turn off message from diesel filter blocked ? . No messages came up it or bleeps . Just engine light and crawl mode. I've got a lexia system coming soon pm I will check for stored faults then. Looks like it could be exhaust filter at fault. But I'm not 100% sure

Could be the exhaust dpf since the extra revs and exhaust gases would result in a higher pressure in the filter. Maybe keep the revs down if possible until you can fix it. However, anything that affects the emissions becoming faulty will put on the engine management light so you need to read the fault code before spending any money.

This sort of message could arise from a number of things:

1- Could really be a partially blocked DPF. Need to run fast around 4000rpm for few minutes, or use a Evolution XS (Lexia) to regenerate.

2- Could be one of the sensors.. Cam, TPS, etc..

3- Could be the Pressure Regulation Solenoid (2574.16) in the AL4 Gear Box.

4- Could be loose/dirty  connector.

5- Could be the battery (weak charge).

One more thing, the inlet butterfly actuator casing was rubbed thin by an adjacent pipe that made a very small hole that causing improper sensor readings that contributed to some faults.

One thing about French cars, They can take some time to find the faults and fix once and for all.

In the mean time, Good luck..

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned it myself. Taking it out of the car looks more difficult than it actually is, then you separate the two parts (one is a catalyst and the other is the DPF). I went to the petrol station where they have a powerful jet and sprayed it clean, I washed both parts inside out, they were filthy. Then reassembled it and replaced it back. The whole thing took 3 - 4 hours, but it was great experience to my children, I don't think anyone would have put the effort we did. I cost a couple of Euros.

You can use the Lexia to regenerate the DPF, which is easy and it takes all in all 10 minutes.

• 1 year later...

I done this once on a 407 i took it out pressure washed it i then drilled a hole with a 2inch core drill through it so that the ECU couldnt detect back pressure and trigger a regen and put it all back together I then sent off the ECU to my friend Steve at HDI tuning and had the DPF deleted this in turn makes the ECU think  it doesn't have a particulate filter and also stops the Eloy's fluid process. As far as MOT is concerned there is no real way the tester can check and they are very unlikely to strip it down and check. the next Mot for mine passed the emissions test with flying colours and also gave me better MPG and 5 more BHP. NO DPF NO PROBLEMS.