Immobilizer Fault, Economy Mode, Cant Start

stereotypical

When you turn the ignition on, the engine management light should be on until the engine has run for a few seconds as it checks everything is working ok. If there is a fault then the light will not go off.

I have not used a Lexia, only a code reader which through the menu has access to live data.

Is this the fuse box board?

Spray WD40 and clean with a medium brush, I can see some muck or dust on the first photo.

Check components for damage (do not remove parts un-necessarily). Resolder the black solder points on the second photo and reconnect the toasted line (if needed).

The power deprivation symptoms were coming from the leakage on this board. 

You can fix a broken power line, a good indication that the feeding component is probably saved, I hope you are lucky.

Edited by Simple

Is this the fuse box board?

Spray WD40 and clean with a medium brush, I can see some muck or dust on the first photo.

Check components for damage (do not remove parts un-necessarily). Resolder the black solder points on the second photo and reconnect the toasted line (if needed).

The power deprivation symptoms were coming from the leakage on this board. 

You can fix a broken power line, a good indication that the feeding component is probably saved, I hope you are lucky.

the board looks pretty damaged, there some swelling marks on some parts of the board. 

A bit reluctant to reuse this board again, would rather just get a better condition one off ebay, only problem now is i can't seem to get the part number on mine!  :blink:

i know its a BSM B3, but the number before it seems to vary from different models......

post-94187-0-29542000-1511635141_thumb.jpeg

Electrolyte capacitors may swell and would require changing over time, but other semiconductor components are reasonably protected from the elements. I guess the decision would finally be based on availability and cost.

This module is fitted to a number of Citroen and Peugeot cars (like C2 and 207) and it came with different prefixes and suffixes to #118470003. I think they are all interchangeable.

Mine (Citroen C8 HDi) 9650663880 BSM B5, has the same size and connector layout, the same fuses but different layout, and with 2 extra (20 and 30) amp fuses. Some PSA cars came with 118470003 and the same models came with 9650663880 (with the 2 above mentioned fuses removed). I think 9650663880 can replace 118470003 but not the other way round.

Of course it is best to buy the same part with the same part number, unless the manufacturer has replaced the part with a newer better designed one. 

If getting one off ebay I would try and collect it yourself. Then you can make sure it looks in good condition and is not suffering the same common fault. You could also ask a dealer for the price of a new one and at the same time find out if it would need a diagnostic to code it to your car.

Electrolyte capacitors may swell and would require changing over time, but other semiconductor components are reasonably protected from the elements. I guess the decision would finally be based on availability and cost.

This module is fitted to a number of Citroen and Peugeot cars (like C2 and 207) and it came with different prefixes and suffixes to #118470003. I think they are all interchangeable.

Mine (Citroen C8 HDi) 9650663880 BSM B5, has the same size and connector layout, the same fuses but different layout, and with 2 extra (20 and 30) amp fuses. Some PSA cars came with 118470003 and the same models came with 9650663880 (with the 2 above mentioned fuses removed). I think 9650663880 can replace 118470003 but not the other way round.

Of course it is best to buy the same part with the same part number, unless the manufacturer has replaced the part with a newer better designed one. 

yeap im still half and half still on either replacing it completely or try to salvage the board, based on the number, mine has an E before BSM B3, and i've found the only ones that ends with an E starts with the letter S, S118470003 E BSM B3 

so i think it should be ok. Still thinking :)

If getting one off ebay I would try and collect it yourself. Then you can make sure it looks in good condition and is not suffering the same common fault. You could also ask a dealer for the price of a new one and at the same time find out if it would need a diagnostic to code it to your car.

unfortunately i live really far away now, so collecting myself wouldn't work, the price for a new one around my area is expensive, but im not sure if i need to recode it though? 

I read from somewhere else that if its the exact fit there's no coding needed for it. 

Looks as if a new one is £130. I searched on the Citroen part no. 6500Y1 which I think is for your car but this should be checked using your VIN in the parts diagrams. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Citroen-Peugeot-Fuse-Box-C3-C5-C8-206-307-807-PICASSO-Partner-6500Y1-/262900730046

In the citroen service box procedures it gives a replacement time of 36 minutes for the BSM and does not mention any diagnostics so I think you are right and it is just a swap of parts.

You can see the parts diagrams as a free service if you register on the service.citroen site as an other professional non emergency services and as a member of the Citroen Owners Club. Once on the site use your VIN (VIS) top left to find your car. The BSM can be found under Electric unit, general points , units/connector boards/kits, parts, checking stand and fuse box. http://service.citroen.com/do/changerParametres you might need to select your language first and the registration button is top right.

If you clean the board and post the photo it might be possible to see if it is easy to repair, or it might not need any repair after all !!

i think there are quite some damage on it, some parts of the board looks swollen and expanded lol, i don't think it would last for any longer. 

Looks as if a new one is £130. I searched on the Citroen part no. 6500Y1 which I think is for your car but this should be checked using your VIN in the parts diagrams. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Citroen-Peugeot-Fuse-Box-C3-C5-C8-206-307-807-PICASSO-Partner-6500Y1-/262900730046

In the citroen service box procedures it gives a replacement time of 36 minutes for the BSM and does not mention any diagnostics so I think you are right and it is just a swap of parts.

You can see the parts diagrams as a free service if you register on the service.citroen site as an other professional non emergency services and as a member of the Citroen Owners Club. Once on the site use your VIN (VIS) top left to find your car. The BSM can be found under Electric unit, general points , units/connector boards/kits, parts, checking stand and fuse box. http://service.citroen.com/do/changerParametres you might need to select your language first and the registration button is top right.

unfortunately i can't register at the citroen service website, im outside of the EU, so the register button doesn't show up, and when i tried the first time it said my registration is not allowed in french and then the register button dissapeared altogether upon refresh, so  i reckon its capturing my IP address from a different country outside of the EU. 

The link on ebay looks correct, thanks again. Still weighing my options now :) 

1. Repair the existing board:  possible issues later on and might not last so long, but the cheapest route.

2. Buy a used decent condition one off ebay:  slightly more money, probably last longer, but not that long i reckon or could die within 2 month you never know

3. Buy a brand new one: cost the most money, but have a peace of mind that it should last me for several years, but there might be possible issues with the car that i don't know off, so wonder if spending the amount first without checking it with a used one that it can actually start if i swap might be risky. 

hmmmmmmm  :wacko:

Did not realise you could be in Kuala Lumpur (from IP address). We have another member in Malaysia who also cannot access the parts diagrams. He sometimes visits the UK and gets lots of parts for his C5 since he has said how expensive things are there.

yeap it is very expensive its almost 3 times more expensive then the prices in Pounds :wacko: , i visit the UK as well once in a while but not as frequent recently, i got the throttle body from the UK as well, unfortunately had no idea my fuse box was ruined when i got back otherwise i would've got a replacement as well before i left. 

i found this group on fb as well that just focuses on the C8, 807 and Ulysse, which was really useful, you might be interested to join as well they're quite helpful too.  :rolleyes:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/Eurovan2/  

Can you use a UK based proxy server to access the required pages?? 

i've not tried that before, will give it a shot tonight and see if it works thanks  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

It is 2½ weeks since stereotypical was last on here, I wonder if he has fixed his car, would be nice to know and what the fix was.

I find it annoying when we spend time helping and for whatever reason we do not get the final feedback to know how a problem was solved. It means the topic could be a waste of our time and does not help others with the same problem. It also makes you less willing to help the same person again so it is in their own interest to finish the topic.

It is 2½ weeks since stereotypical was last on here, I wonder if he has fixed his car, would be nice to know and what the fix was.

I find it annoying when we spend time helping and for whatever reason we do not get the final feedback to know how a problem was solved. It means the topic could be a waste of our time and does not help others with the same problem. It also makes you less willing to help the same person again so it is in their own interest to finish the topic.

hi paul, sorry for the delay in replying was going to make a post as soon as i could, i've always replied on my final outcomes in all my previous posts, only got my c8 out last week, and i got it out on the 18th Dec,  then headed out north for a short holiday for a few days and only got back today. So appreciate some patience here. 

The BSM did the trick, but it wasn't a clear swap, mechanic had to reset several things before it could start again, the airconditioning wasn't working and and airbag fault kept popping up, but i was in a rush to get it out as i had a holiday to go to. 

The car isn't a 100% still, every now and then other new errors keep popping up but i keep erasing it but the initial no start issue is solved with this new bsm box if that is what you're looking for. 

Thanks again for the help and appreciate the patience in my response. 

Edited by stereotypical

Good to see one problem is sorted.

My comment about people not finishing topics was not particularly aimed at you, just a general comment and you would be surprised how many people never come back after asking for help. Here is an example, techen had many topics going on this forum and another one with the same topics but would not finish any of them off or answer any direct questions, in the end we gave up helping http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/topic/20398-new-c4-issues/?hl=%2Binjector+%2Bleak&do=findComment&comment=73275