Speedometer Repairs

DaveHerns

MIne has stopped showing the speed but the distance covered is still clocking up

Looking on the internet I've found this -http://www.akspeedo.com/peugeot-citroen-speedo-motors.php

Will phone them tomorrow

Is anyone who has done this job happy to pm me their phone number to talk through what to do ? I find I'm a little lacking in confidence on car repairs these days

To get the speedo panel out, slide a couple of credit type cards under the 2 dimples about 1 inch to undo the fixing clips and then pull it forward. From memory, replacement of the speedo motor has been discussed here by coastline taxis and the rev counter uses the same motor as the speedo so these could be swapped to prove the fault is the motor before any money is spent.

• 8 months later...

The speedo needle on our C5 (2.2 hdi VTX 2007 estate) has dropped down and is now reading about 10 mph low. Would a new motor be a fix for this although the company in the link appear to be currently out of stock ?

There are also posts on setting the position of the needle so maybe that is all that is needed http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/topic/14671-c5-speedo-rev-counter/

I seem to have fixed this. I removed the speedometer panel, unclipped the front and back covers and found the speedo needle was a loose fit on the motor shaft. In daylight I could see the needle shaft had 2 cracks opposite each other. The back cover was put back on, the panel plugged back to its electrical socket and following Sifaan's post, drove the car a few hundred meters to reset the motor. The needle was then put back with a bit of wood glue in the shaft (only runny glue I had that may allow future removal) at 0 mph with the engine running, the front cover clipped back on and the panel then pushed back into the dash. The needle must have been like this when made so could have happened any time. Running the car with the speedo panel disconnected gave the engine management light, fault code P0028 and warnings of speed control and anti pollution, which I had to erase.

I should have mentioned that my speedo needle slipped on the new motor's shaft and I tried glue/loctite with no success .I thought the shaft might be cracked so I put 3 bits of heatshrink on it , one after the other , and squashed the end of the motor's spindle in the vice to make it flatter/fatter slightly .So far, so good

• 1 month later...

I had an issue with the speedo on my Citroen C5 1.8LX (2004) whereby it suddenly started to show 40mph faster than i was going, then it went up to 60mph and then finally stopped at 70mph (or off the scale).

Having read about other people having the same kind of issue and forking out quite a bit for a new Speedo or changing the motor over, I took the panel out and merely just swiped the needle back to zero with my finger. That was over 8 months ago and it's worked ever since. I tested the speed with a GPS and also with a friend who was driving certain set speeds in front and all seems okay. 

One thing i have noticed though when parked up with the engine off. Every 10-15mins there is an electronic sound/clicking and the speedo needle moves with the sound then settles again. Does anyone know what this is? Can it be the cause of so many issues with the speedo?

The clicking noise may be the bsi waking up. When the engine is turned off and the key removed, if nothing is done the bsi shuts down after a few minutes. Then if something such as a door is opened it will wake up and start to do things ready for starting the car. I notice it on our C5 when you first get in it, the speedo and rev counter needles move to the zero point and then there are clicking noises from inside the dash which I suspect to be part of the heating. There is also a sat nav hard drive on ours that sounds as if it starts spinning and I am sure that all these things starting in case the car is going to be used only help to drain the battery if the doors are opened a lot.

only helps to drain the battery if the doors are opened a lot.

Agree with that.   And the suspension pump wakes up at the same time which also adds to battery drain.    Sometimes my C5 isn't used for several days at a time but I also keep many of my tools in the load area of the car.   Frequent opening and closing of the car quickly leaves it with a low battery situation for the eventual start up.

Many thanks for that, i had first noticed it when we were sitting in the car with doors shut (it was raining) and the noise/clicking behind the speedo/dash started and the needle moved. It moved approx the distance of 10mph then back to 0. I shall bare in mind about the doors/suspension in future. 

I would recommend anyone with the speedo issue (of it showing inaccurate readings to try moving it manually before replacing/swapping over the motor or buying a new speedo/complete dash.

It's worked for me so far.... fingers crossed.

The alarm also drains the battery and towbar relays. If our C5 is not used for more than 3 weeks then the battery can be too low to start it. The towbar fuses are removed if not towing which gives another week before the battery will be too low. Our previous C5 was the same.

• 1 month later...

Looks like I need to replace the stepper motor for my speedo. Followed the instructions and got the dash out no problems. The 2 white stalks that hold the motor in look fragile and easily broken if pulled too much. Whats the best way to remove the old motor from them, by pulling the motor straight up or trying to wedge them out?

Thx.

This is copied from one of the posts by coastline taxis in the links:

yep its the stepper motor. remove the dashboard by inserting a couple of credit cards under the dash below the 2 holes at the bottom of the cluster. the stepper motor is held in place by 2 white prongs DO NOT pull them apart cause they will snap and youl need a whole new unit just gently aply a bit pressure to them and pull the motor out. to put new one in line the 4 metal contacts up and push it in. replace the dash by just pushing it in then the jobs done         

Something not noted above - if you fit a used replacement speedo, the car will adopt the mileage that is the higher of your existing speedo or the replacement one.

• 7 years later...