Zx Reliability / General Question

I love the look of the ZX and really want to purchase myself one. However I'm a little put off by the massive negative reviews and general agro towards these cars online. 

Being quite cautious I went and purchased my self a 'dog and lemon report'

My question to you guys is how much of this is just waffle and how much is truth? 

I'm looking at a Citroen ZX 1.8 Aura 1995 Auto (137,230KM)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

The Citroen ZX has always been highly regarded in the UK and as far as reliability is concerned, it's no worse than other marques.   Although I and my family have owned Citroens for twentyfive years, we've never owned a ZX.   However one of my daughters drives a Peugeot 306 which is built on the same floor pan as the ZX.   Both cars share the running gear and engines and her 306 has been giving her brilliant service for over 15 years.        

Thank you for the great responses, I was able to give the car a test drive today and it was fantastic. Apart from being a very good specimen for it's age, here are some things I noticed:

The speedometer flickered as I drove along, and the dashboard front driver door light was constantly on (even though it was clearly closed).

I plan to get the car looked at by an AA mechanic before I decide if I purchase it, and will definitely mention the autobox — is that something easy to diagnose?

Nick

I have not had an auto box but you would need to make sure it works and check if the oil is clean and not burnt.

There seems to be an 8 valve and a 16 valve 1.8 petrol engine and one 1.8 diesel engine - you have not mentioned which the car has.

Up to car RPO 06747 the speedo drive used a cable, and then was electric - so if a cable drive then maybe it needs a new cable if the existing one is worn or sticking.

Does the central locking work - if the door open light is on the car must think the door is not closed so the locking may not lock. The switch to say if the door is closed will be either a separate switch or be built in to the lock. If not a switch problem it could be a problem with the wiring such as where it goes between the door and body.