C5 1.6 Hdi Dmf Clutch Replacement

noelgourdie

Hi,

I have bought the new clutch and preparing for the job by reading all the forums, and watching all the youtube videos I can, as I live in rural France and once I start the job I'll be without transport till I finish the job.

Do I need to pull the driveshafts out of the hubs to get the shafts out of the gearbox, or can I pull the driveshafts out of the gearbox without removing the shafts from the hubs, once I have undone the bottom ball joints?

You help will be appreciated.

Cheers Noel

From the Haynes manual it looks as though you have to remove the hub from the driveshaft before you can withdraw the driveshaft. Make sure the hub doesn't rotate before slackening the nut. (Get someone to press the brake pedal hard!)

Then drain the transmission,

Slacken and remove the lower balljoint nut and free the balljoint from the lower suspension arm. Remove the protector plate if it's loose. (Note: always use a new balljoint nut on re-assembly.)

Release the wiring harness from the retaining bracket on the inner wing. Carefully pull the hub carrier assembly outwards and withdraw the outer CV joint form the hub assembly.

Support the driveshaft and carefully withdraw the inner CV joint from the transmission. Be careful not to damage the driveshaft oil seal.

Then remove the driveshaft.

As I said, this is from the Haynes manual but I've not done it myself!

Hope it helps.

This is copied from the Citroen repair manual - unfortunately the diagrams won't copy so the numbers mentioned are irrelevant.

Disconnect the battery negative terminal.

Remove :

The front wheels

The front right and left hand splashshields

The protective panel under the engine

The ECU housing cover (1)

Disconnect and remove the ECUs (according to option).

Release the wiring harnesses.

Remove :

The exchanger outlet air duct ( 2)

The air filter (3) box

The air duct (4)

Drain the gearbox .

Unclip the tube , as "a".

Remove the bolts (5).

Move aside the clutch slave cylinder from the gearbox housing.

Remove the nuts (6).

Uncouple the lower swivel ball-joints ( 7) Using tool [1].

Remove :

The screws (8) and (9)

The collars at the duct extremities (10)

The pipe (10)

The exhaust clip (12).

The torque reaction rod screw ( 11).

Disconnect the gear selection controls.

Put in place the engine retaining crossmember [ 2].

Remove the gearbox using a workshop hoist.

Remove :

The 3 upper fixing screws of the clutch housing on the engine

The 3 fixing screws of the mounting (13)

Unplug :

The gearbox earth cable

The speedometer drive connector

Remove :

The fixing screws of the starter

The starter motor

The lower screws of the clutch housing and the closing panel of the engine flywheel

Disengage the gearbox from under the vehicle

On a C8 recently BigBruv had to remove a drive shaft from the gearbox but could not undo it at the hub end but managed by your original suggestion, so it is something you could still try. It also saved him from having to get a high setting torque wrench to do up the hub nut. http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/citroen/topic/23870-now-my-turbo-has-blown/?hl=driveshaft&do=findComment&comment=89453

Just found my receipt for plastic nuts and clips for the wheel arch liner.

The parts are:

8211WV    Hog Ring       (30p each)

712731     Plastic Nut     (92p each)

6991X7     Blind Rivet     (32p each)

all prices exclude VAT

I bought 5 off each for £9.24 (just in case as one or two were broken when I removed the liner looking for a water leak)

Lots of people find hubs seized. If you have to remove hubs with driveshaft attached, it makes it awkward to refit the driveshaft without damaging a seal. That is especially true on the O/S.  Best to get pair of seals for driveshaft at gearbox as well.

Hi,

Progress has been slow, and I have found it impossible to undo the N/S drive shaft bearing support bolts. As I can't get these bolts undone,  even though I have sprayed them with CRC,  I'm wondering if it is necessary to remove the N/S drive shaft prior to the gearbox removal or will the N/S drive shaft slide out of the gearbox anyway as the gearbox is removed?

Cheers Noel

Hi,

Our car is LHD so I may have got my O/S and N/S confused.  I bolts I can't undo even with CRC,  are the are the bearing support bolts on the long driveshaft.

I'm wondering if it is necessary to remove the long drive shaft prior to the gearbox removal or will the long drive shaft slide out of the gearbox anyway as the gearbox is removed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Noel

In the Haynes manual for the 2001 to 2008 C5 under drive shaft removal for the right hand one (your N/S) page 8.2 section 7, it gives that the nuts may first need removing and then the bolts turning 90° before they can be removed.

You really need to have the drive shaft out. if the bolts are siezed then a quicker option would be to just unbolt the whole mounting/bearing carrier from the back of the engine. Think its 3 or4 16mm bolts. then slide the whole lot out with the driveshaft still in the carrier and you can then remove the 2 drive shaft bolt a lot easier when its on the bench