Failed Emissions

crooner

Hi, i took my car for a M.O.T today & it failed for it's emissions the test results show that the actual fast idle test results are higher than the limits, the mechanic said i have to take it back next week & he will try to clean the lambda oxygen sensors ,

i was wondering if i could do anything to clean them myself to make a difference ,  would this cure the emissions problem ,

Citroen C3 1.2 VTi 82 2013

When you take it for the MOT make sure the engine is hot, so not a couple of miles from home. I would take it for a long run so it gets nice and hot. If you have a code reader that gives live data you could check the lambda sensors. The catalyst inlet one should be constantly switching around 1.0 and the outlet one should be constant unless the catalyst is faulty when it will be following the inlet one. Also make sure the servicing is up to date with a clean air filter and possibly new spark plugs.

You can get a code reader that gives live data for around £35 from Gendan, as an example https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_FXNT200.html Checking the lambda sensors is probably cheaper than paying a garage to try and clean them.

i have a AUTEL MAXISCAN MS309  reader , but the only information i can get from it is ,

CODES FOUND 0

OXYGEN SENS MON OK

OXYGEN SENS HGR  OK

EGR SYSTEM OK

CATALYST MON .OK

would you advise against taking the sensors out to clean them or should i give it a good run before test & hope for the best,

Live data would be nice to see but since you do not have any fault codes shown the sensors and catalyst are probably ok. I have never removed lambda sensors but I have read they can be difficult to remove and a crows foot spanner might be best if an open ended one is not working. The sensor that adjusts the fuel is the cat inlet one so would be the one to check if it is clean.

I think the best thing first off is a good long run, especially if it is mainly used for short trips. Something also to check, we had a C3 1.4 vti 95 hp and that used oil all the time we had it, maybe a litre every 2k miles and it was only on 12k miles when bought at 3 years old. Those engines are also prone to needing the timing chain replacing at a low mileage, ours needed doing at 50k but it was part exchanged for a diesel Cactus so the dealer could do it. At MOTs it passed but I think the emissions were at the top end. This Peugeot topic is worth a read

https://www.peugeotforums.com/threads/207-cc-failed-on-emissions.350938/

Hi paul , since my last post i removed the very top sensor didn't look too bad a bit of soot, i gave it a blast with carb cleaner the sensor lower down is harder to get at so i just left that , i also put some petrol additive in the petrol expect i'm a bit late doing that , i have been in touch with the garage & have arranged to get it tested right after a long run on monday , will do a few long journeys over the weekend because i only do short journeys mainly,

paul h. good luck with your MOT tomorrow ,

I took the car for a long run on the motorway & heated the engine just before the 2nd emissions test today but it failed again ,

to get it to pass the mechanic took the exhaust off to reseal it, he also cleaned the bottom oxygen sensor ,that did the trick , 

that's me for another year ,

• Like 1

Hopefully it did not cost much to get through your MOT.

The C5 passed its MOT today with no problems, this is the tenth I have taken it for and it has only failed once on the first one when a front strut was leaking slightly. I suspect when a 14 year old car goes for the MOT they are hoping for a lot of work but it has only done 39k miles, is in good condition and I look after it. It is the best car I've had and it does all the things I need it to - tows a caravan, can carry lots of stuff, is comfy over long distances (we have a Peugeot 308 for the short trips and this can easily be replaced).

that's great news your C5 passed it's M.O.T. 

i was only charged an extra £ 40 for the bottom sensor to be cleaned & the exhaust to be resealed which was really good ,

next year i'm thinking of changing my car ,i'm used to the c3s but don't like the cactus models with the plastic that runs along the sides , i fancy the nissan juke but don't know much about them ,  now that i'm through the mot i have time to think about it .

I would not discount the Cactus, our daughter has a 2016 1.6 hdi one and likes it. Had it 4 years now, so far no problems with it at 41k miles. The car is black and so are the door rubber panels which seem to have stopped any damage to them. It is based on the 2009 on C3 chassis but is a bit bigger than the C3 but not as big as the C4. I have started the servicing on it now the warranty has run out and it is easy enough. The brakes are the same as the C3.

We've had 3 C4s (2008, 2011, 2015) and I like them, very comfy, good for long distances but they have stopped making them and it has been replaced by a new version that looks a bit like something from the Dakar rally, not to my liking. Apart from the Cactus, I do not like the latest Citroens, Peugeots are better other than the SUV versions which again I do not like. Our last C4 was replaced with a Peugeot 308 estate last year, just in case the C5 estate has to go. The Peugeot seats are not as comfy as the C4 and I am not too keen on the small steering wheel but the rest of it is good and I can get a 2m step ladder in the boot which was an essential.